Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Meet the New Members > New Members Board

Old 03-06-2006, 01:54 PM

Default New Fly Fisher

I am new to fly fishing, I've fished the rivers many time conventionally,but, have never fly fished. I am working on setting myself up for a trip down in april. I purchased an Orvis TLS Power Matrix 7' 11" 4wt Mid Flex Rod & an Orvis Battenkill Disc 5-6 Reel ( was a gift). I have waders,boots & vest, but have none of the other items needed. I was hoping someone familiar with the rivers in the Smoky's can advise me on the rest. The Flies I can pick up at Little River Outfitters when I come down, But would like to equip myself with all the rest prior to arriving. All the advice I can get will be helpful. I would like advice on the types of lines I will need for the area and equipment I've already obtained. This will give me time to practice & hopefully perfect my casting technique. *Thank You for Any Help You can Give
Old 03-08-2006, 05:50 AM

Default Re: New Fly Fisher

Hi,
I imagine you will get all kinds of good advise, but the best thing gear-wise I've added to my stuff has to be a water filter bottle. It sure beats the extra weight of packing your own H2O. Also if you don't already have one- a wading staff is a good investment. Just remember to keep the weight of the gear you use to a minimum and save your energy.
If I think of anything else, I'll get back to you.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:16 AM

Hello Sworp,
*Glad to meet you, I appreciate the advice,I've got a lot to learn, in a short period of time!! Didn't even occur to me to bring a water bottle. I suppose I need to consider how completely different it is from just driving over to my local river & throwing in a line for a couple hours!!
*Time to put myself into a different mindset!! *Any other tips will undoubtably make my trip a little more enjoyable
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Thank You,
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Brian Flynn
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *crossroads
Old 03-09-2006, 02:32 PM

New Fly,
I wanted to add to my last post by suggesting a double taper line for your 4 wt.
Practice your roll cast.
Polarized glasses are a must for eye protection and cutting the glare to see the fish.
That's all I've got. Have a great time!
Old 03-09-2006, 04:22 PM

Thank you again,learning much
Old 03-10-2006, 11:46 AM

Crossroads, Thanks for joining the board and welcome.

One of my favorite pieces of gear is a cheap folding chair with a built in beverage holder. *It is great to sit in to take those darned waders on and off and it also serves as a perch for watching the river go by after a day of fishing. *You can also hang that 20 pound vest on the back when you are not fishing. *Make sure your friends each have one or you will get limited use of yours. *You can buy them at Bass Pro or Walmart.

Byron