Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 03-16-2006, 09:37 PM

Default Float Boats

I just sold my kayak and am looking to get a float boat. * I want a good quality boat that I can transport in the back of my truck, and that will hold up for several years. My choices are Dave Scadden 9' Madison River, Bucks Bag Bronco, and the Skookum Osprey. Anybody got any recommendations or know anyone that has one of these crafts? Thanks a ton *

Justfishing
<'))))><
Old 03-17-2006, 08:46 AM

Default Re: Float Boats

I have an Outcast PAC 900 which I really like. It is a 9' pontoon model. Dave Scadden's pontoons for his boats are all welded by Aire which is the company that owns Outcast. (or something like that!) Where are you planning on using your boat?

Chris McCarthy

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
- Henry David Thoreau
Old 03-17-2006, 01:41 PM

Thanks for the comeback Chris. I'm probably going to spend most of the time on the Hooch or Hiwassee in Georgia, and an occasional trip to the White in Arkansas. Other than that I'll probably the Cahaba and Sipsy locally, so now class V rapids. More interested in quality. I've seen a few that you can stand up in, which would be a plus.

JF
<'))))><
Old 03-19-2006, 08:48 AM

At first I thought I the idea of being able to stand up and fish from the boat was a pretty neat idea. After thinking about it for a while, I can't think of many times when that would be useful. Maybe I am missing something, but when I want to fish, I park my boat and walk. Also, be very careful about dropping anchor in heavy current to stop the boat. I would highly recommend you have knife with a serrated edge that is easily accessible while you are floating. If you happen to drop anchor by mistake or your boat gets hung up on submerged logs, etc. with the anchor rope you may want to able to cut the rope quickly to avoid capsizing or being pulled under. I have never encountered this as a problem but was warned by other pontoon users and it seems like a good safety precaution.

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
- Henry David Thoreau