Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-15-2006, 11:41 PM

Default Campgrounds

Hi. I am new to the message board, although I have been lurking for good info. We try to camp in the GSMNP a couple of times a year. Always trying different places because my brother and I want to fish every stream we can. Our wives love to hike to all the different falls. This year we are headed to the Tennessee side for the first time. First week of May for about 8-9 days. We are wondering what the consensus is on the campgrounds. Abrams Creek to far away? Cades Cove to crowded with small sites? Elkmont is huge but could we get some privacy? We like shade and quiet but don't really want to have to trek every morning to get somewhere. Any help would be appreciated and we look forward to stopping in to LRO for some local flies. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:39 AM

Default Re: Campgrounds

I always use Elkmont as my base of operations. It seems to be in the middle of the best fishing in the Tenn. side of the park. I have found if you are there during the week until mid June it is normally very quiet. You'll be about a 15 minute drive from West Prong of Little Pigeon going up the New Found Gap road. You can walk and fish Little River , Jake's Creek or other Trib's from Campground. You are about 1/2 hour from Middle Prong above Tremont. Don't let the Little River flowing through the Campground discourage you. I've seen numerous nice Rainbows rising to Drys from the Bridge near the entrance. I usually walk about a 1/2 hour up or down from the campground to some of the best fishing in the park. A lot of others prefer the Metcalf Bottoms area downstream a ways. Tight lines
Old 03-16-2006, 01:03 AM

I'll second Elkmont. It is a great campground and if it is not filled and you can pick your site, there are a lot of sites with decent privacy. Cades Cove is also a nice campground. I love staying there. Anthony creek between the picnic area and campground is fun in the evening or early morning before others wake up. Abram's isn't bad either ! If you camp in the cove you don't have to get up as early to be one of the first ones through the gate on the way to Abrams. Elkmont is probably more centrally located however as previously mentioned. When you stop at LRO for flies, be sure to check out Walter Babb's flies...

David
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 03-20-2006, 08:46 AM

My suggestion is to start @ Elkmont. You can pull up stakes and go to another, although that isn't likely. Really nice campground. Very nice trails for the ladies and LOTS of fishable water there, as if that isn't enough drive 20 minutes and get all new water. Gatlinburg is about 20 minutes away for a good dinner out if you don't want to campsite cook a couple of nights. Abrams is nice, but isolated.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:01 AM

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. We'll try Elkmont. We like the idea that it's at a higher elevation. Seeing how school won't be out yet, crowds shouldn't be a problem. We were in Deep Creek at the same time last year and there were just a few people on the other side of the campground. The fishing was wonderful. No one was tubing yet and my brother pulled a 14" brown and a 16" bow from under the upper bridge right in the campgeound. I don't think we had a day where we got skunked.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:36 PM

Agree Elkmont is cental to everything. I like the location becasuse my wife can run over to Gatlinburg and shop (spend my money) leaving me more time alone for fishing. A small price to pay for a day of solitude on the streams. About 3/4 of a mile up stream from the camp grounds can be very good. I like being close to Gatinburg, you can only eat so much camp chow. I also like Abrams Creek Camp Ground. This is good for fishing the lower portions of Abrams Creek as well as some of the smaller tributaries like Panter, and Egale Creek. This camp site is primative however. And there is some hiking invloved here.