Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-24-2006, 03:10 PM

Default Re: TN vs NC fishing licenses

I agree, JF . Maybe TWRA is just in the starting phases with all this and they'll have better offerings after their first full year of these new fees. I'm always thinking to the future, I think people would be more inclined to buy an annual license if they had 10 full days to enjoy the fishing in this great state. If kids under 18 are paying adult rates then they definitely need to rethink that one!
Old 02-24-2006, 03:37 PM

Tennessee offers non-residents a choice of 3-day, 10-day, or season licenses. Non-resident Junior licenses (for 13 to 15 y/o) only cost $9 for the license year, and this includes a trout license.

Daniel
Old 02-24-2006, 04:03 PM

10 day all fish $50.50. Such a deal !!!
Old 02-25-2006, 02:55 PM

remember, you don't have to have a trout stamp to fish the park. just a base tn license will work. or nc, whichever is cheaper. or you could just not buy any license and hope you don't get caught, but I wouldn't risk that. there's one particular ranger I know of in the cades cove area who would probably shoot you if she caught you without one. she's checked me a few different times and it always turns into an interrogation. she's asked me such questions as, "what were you doing back there" well considering I'm decked out in about $2k of fishing gear, I guess I was fishing.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:06 PM

That was my point too, JF. I think these multi-day prices could be better. The fishing is worth it but everyone doesn't know that.

Daniel,
Thanks for posting the info on the junior license. That isn't a bad price. I'm looking at this from the standpoint of a family coming up for a couple of multi-day trips a year. It would be pretty pricey for a family of 4 that were all 16 or over. I hope that TWRA takes heed of this and offer some kind of family deal. I have spoken with several people in private emails that can't afford it. I'm in agreement with the cost going up on the annual because I know it will be used wisely but TWRA needs to look at a few things regarding family and muti-day use permits. As far as I know, they don't offer a 1 day. Running from March 1st - March 1st is ridiculous. I've had a lot of people complain about that. If it is late in the season they just won't buy one. They just tell me they won't fish here until they can get a year license that's good for the whole year.

If die hard fishermen are complaining about these prices then it's my humble opinion that TWRA needs to look at a few things. If the multi-day prices were lower I think they would sell more year license with a run from the date of purchase. Before anyone thinks I'm attacking TWRA let me say that I applaud their efforts for the great fishing in this state! I'm simply putting a few ideas out here.

Old 03-20-2006, 06:51 PM

ttas67 I think I ran into her last May below Tremont. She wanted to see my license and then proceeded to ask me all kinds of inane questions about what I was doing. Like you I looked like I just stepped out of an Orvis catalogue and was standing knee deep in a stream. It seemed rather obvious to me, but I explained it to her anyway because she was packin'.