Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-23-2006, 09:50 AM

Default This Weekend

I'll be up in Townsend Friday and Saturday for a quick solo fishing trip. It's pretty much indicative of my luck in general that those are the two coldest days on the 10 day forecast. On top of the cold it looks like it'll be raining/snowing on Friday morning. Anyone have any advice besides staying home to tie flies? I plan to bundle up and fish slowly with nymphs, concentrating on the sunny areas and all that other typical winter stuff unless I miraculously spot rising fish. I plan to concentrate on the various prongs of the Little River. Some day maybe I'll have a job that gives me more flexibility in when I'm off, but for now those are my only free days to get up there this month. Looks like I should have some decent basketball to watch in my hotel room while not fishing.

hawgdaddy
Old 03-24-2006, 12:21 PM

Default Re: This Weekend

Hawg,

Keep your Dry Fly box handy as you may still encounter some decent hatches of blue Quills and/or BWO's in the afternoons. I fished last Sunday, 3/19, and the air temps were barely over 50 but the Hatches of Quills came hard about 2pm, and lasted an hour or so (Little River below Metcalf bottoms). There were Quill Gordons sz 12, and Blue Quills sz. 16/14 with some little brown stones mixed in. The fish keyed on the bigger Quills, but swithced to the Blue Quills as the Gordons thinned out. Caught several Browns and Bows in the 10-12" range and several other smaller bows. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the Quills will hatch just about the time the water temp breaks the 50*F mark.

AA
2Timothy2:15