Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 03-17-2006, 04:03 PM

Default To wax or not to wax????

ferrule wax..... yes or no *Pro and Cons? :-/
Old 03-19-2006, 06:19 PM

Default Re: To wax or not to wax????

Mike... first of all, what is your primary concern and what kind of flyrod are you using? I assume you are worried about a graphite rod coming apart at the ferrule(s) as you cast, but you need to be more specific. Please clarify.

Scott
Old 03-19-2006, 10:29 PM

Modern 4 piece graphite rods - I have never applied wax to the male ferrules before assembling. *Recently read an article that recommended use of a wax to result in a better fit and longer lasting ferrules - wanted to hear if any of you regularly used ferrule wax.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:44 PM

Mike... I've been fly-fishing for about 39 years now. My first flyrod was fiberglass and had metal ferrules. We knew with the metal that you needed to assemble the rod with a straight insert, and to disassemble with a straight pull as well. Twisting the two sections could result in scoring the metal causing the rod to be "frozen" together at some point.

With the advent of graphite rods, there were and are no metal ferrules. However, when I purchased my first graphite, it would occasionally come apart on me during a forward cast. I thought I had it firmly sealed just like my old fiberglass rods. What a mess in fast water!

The answer came to me when I read an article by Lefty Kreh. He suggested that you start putting your rod sections together at a 90 degree angle from one another based on the position of the guides... then push the pieces together while twisting them to line up the guides. You may need to make a slight adjustment to get them fully aligned. When you are ready to break the rod down, twist it back in the same direction while pulling the pieces apart.

In addition, you should assemble, and disassemble the rod in the same manner each and every time, so remember which way you started and always do it the same way. Also, you want to apply a bit of tension when assembling, but be careful not to overdo it. Otherwise, you might damage your ferrule connections, or get the rod stuck together far more than you want.

For a four-piece rod, I find it easier to assemble the top two, then bottom two sections (or vice-versa), then put them together at the center.

Hope this is helpful... any questions or something does not make sense, please post again.

Tight loops... Scott
Old 03-25-2006, 05:56 PM

Mike... after entering that last post, realized I never answered your question about the ferrule wax. Fact is, I've never used ferrule wax and have had no problems. However, it may be a good thing to do... I just do not know. Sounds to me like just one more thing to buy that probably do not need.

I never had any ferrule problems with my first graphite rod after putting it together like I described earlier and it served well for more than 20 years. Unfortunately it met with a non-fishing accident and was broken.

You could send an e-mail to LRO and ask them directly to answer your questions. They are very helpful about answering such questions.

Tight loops... Scott
Old 04-06-2006, 05:36 PM

I use the hardest candle wax I can find on every rod I own, graphite, or bamboo. I tried beeswax but find that it gets soft on hot days and basically turns to grease at that point. It does wonders for keeping the graphite ferrules in good shape and the rod together. I have not thrown a tip off a rod since I began doing this about 2 years ago.

I just grab candle from a candle holder and act I am sharpening a pencil, as if the candle were the knife and the rod the pencil. Works wonders, wont hurt a thing.

tight lines,
Old 04-07-2006, 04:36 PM

Hi,
Well I have carried the wax thing over from the metal ferrels of the sixties and seventies mainly to be able to get them apart.
I just use bees wax or candle wax and have yet had one stick so tightly as not to come apart. But! do not let any DIRT get mixed in with the wax this would be another problem as an abrasive product would be formed.
Just my .02.
Bob