Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-13-2006, 03:10 PM

Default Need suggestions for Helen, GA

Planning a trip first week of May to the Helen, GA area. It's been 25 years since I have fished trout and would love to stay on a creek. Any suggestions on where to stay? I will have wife and dog in tow.

I appreciate your help. This is a great board.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:59 PM

Default Re: Need suggestions for Helen, GA

You are in for some great fishing. Although I am in Dallas, my brother lives in Alpharetta, GA and fishes Helen all the time. When I am over we do not stay there as the drive is short. Check out the Lodge at Smithgall Woods, which is where Duke's Creek is. http://www.smithgallwoods.com/ They are a little on the steep side and don't know about pets but they should be able to at least point you in the right direction. Good luck and good fishing.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:45 PM

Go on the previous website and look for the reservation number to fish Duke's Creek... it's only open to 15 rods on 3 days a week (wed,sat,sun)... also check out Smiths Creek in Unicoi State park (2 miles from Helen)... also the upper reaches of the Chattahoochee...

For more information on that area of Georgia check out:
http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/ngto/index.html

or

www.unicoioutfitters.com

they have a nice little shop right in helen and are happy to help...

just use the search function in the forum and you'll find anything and everything you'll ever need to fish for trout anywhere in Georgia...

hope this helps
Old 04-18-2006, 07:04 PM

If you fish Dukes Creek, Smithgall Woods, remember that this is a barbless hook stream. Make sure to remove all barbed flies from your boxes, vest, hat, etc! It will cost you $50.00 a fly for every barbed fly you have on your person! There are some really large trout in this stream. I hope you get a chance to fish it!

You can also try Smith Creek at the foot of the dam at Unicoi State park. The bait fishermen and women have probably pounded it pretty hard but it's still an option.