Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 04-25-2006, 07:53 PM

Default Best Tailwater Fishery

Wanted everyones opinion on the best Tailwater Fishery in the State.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:45 PM

Default Re: Best Tailwater Fishery

IMO, the Hiwassee shouldn't even be on that list. Unless you are talking multi-species. I'm more interested in the striper in that river than the weak little stockers that they eat and that skate on the surface when you bring them in. That tailwater has sustained temps well above 70 degees in August, September, and October. Making it a marginal trout fishery. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy fishing it for it's beauty but it also has the most traffic. I've actually had people run into my anchored drifter before . Unless a brown or rainbow starts eating warpaints and finds a good cool spring to hang out in around the summer/fall, they have no chance to grow big on the weak biomass in the river. It sure is hyped by certain outfitters, though. I've caught bigger and better quality trout on all the other tailwaters mentioned. On the other hand, I think its a great warmwater fishery and worth exploring for those species. If you don't mind catching little stockers on dries then you will enjoy fishing it. Me, I'd rather have a shot at a 30" wild brown on the South Holston. With a dry! They are there and they will come up.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:47 PM

You gotta love the SOHO.I'ts not only one of the best tailwaters in the state but one of the best in the southeast.The Hiwassee is a beautiful big river and I really enjoy going once a year and spending the weekend but you can't beat the SOHO.

Kyle
Old 05-07-2006, 12:05 PM

Looks like I'm with most of you out there and vote for the SOHO. Nothing like being out there during the sulphur hatch and having one of those big noses break the surface and slurp down one of those imitations I spent all winter tying up. I have yet to get one of those 30 inchers, but SOHO was the place I broke the "twenty inch barrier" for both browns and rainbows. BUT, there is a special place in my heart for the Hiwassee.

It was the first place I ever fly fished for trout. Actually it was the first place I ever cast a freshwater fly. It was the middle of April at the Big Bend area, no wind, around 70 degrees, and sunny. Not much in the way of hatches when I was there that day, but I did manage to drag 20 or so rainbows to hand by fishing nymphs.

That got me started in fly fishing. It also spoiled me a bit! I probably haven't had too many days on the Big H as good as that one. So, for that experience, I give her a second.

I've fished the Clinch more than either the SOHO or the Hiwassee (mainly due to proximity), I have had great days there too, but I definetly have a love/hate relationship with that piece of water.

I guess we all have our own different experieces on these waters and they mean different things to each of us. Good Poll!
Old 05-10-2006, 08:20 AM

I'll go with the SoHo as well as being the best, my favorite is the Caney Fork being it's only 30 minutes from the house

Grumpy
Old 05-10-2006, 12:08 PM
Administrator

I think the South Holston is one of the most beautiful rivers I have ever floated.

What an amazing place - what awesome fishing....

Paula