Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-20-2006, 07:39 PM

Default Abrams Report Sat May 20th 2006

Hi all. Well after listening to thunder and lightning all night in Knoxville I was'nt too sure about what it would be like in the mountains. I had gotten in touch with a board member from OH (justincraneman) the night before and we had decided to fish Abrams. I forgot that the gate is closed to 10 am on Saturdays,so I told Justin, when he called me that I don't know what the crowds would be like in the cove that late. We decided on trying Greenbrier instead. Well, after listening to forementioned storm, I decided to call him at 5 a.m in the morning. I told him that I didn't think Greenbrier will be fishable because of the rain. We changed our plans to do Abrams after all, regardless of a late start. The cove was very crowded but I managed to met Justin at the parking area at about 10:45 a.m. We began fishing the first straight section after the first ridge and Justin began catching fish immediately on a two nymph rig. Pheasant tail and Prince's I think. I was trying a dry fly since I was seeing flies coming off. After watching Justin catching several bow's, I switched to a bh prince and caught four fish for the day. I had a hard time getting the nymph down deep in the high and murky water and being partial to dries I tried several times, with a dry in between nymphing sessions. Justin managed to catch about two dozen for the day and I was way behind. It was just not my kind of day. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. 8-) Justin is a very talented nymph fisherman and that 's what it took today to be more successful. We finished the early afternoon at the spring creek section where I lost one fish and caught one for a total of five. Justin caught two in that stretch. The spring creek section was stained and the only perfect thing for the day was the temp 59 degrees. Then at about 3 o' clock a heavy hail storm fired up and we called it a day. I had to stop several times on the way home to Knoxville to take shelter because of the heavy hail.