Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-28-2006, 10:59 PM

Default Greenbrier/Ramsay Prong Report

Went up to Greenbrier this afternoon to fish for a few hours. Decided to try my 6.6' 2 wt for a chance. I used to fish real small creeks like Collins Creek, Beech Flats etc. but today I used it on upper Greenbrier. I had forgot how fun this little rod is. I caught and released 9 Brook Trout and 2 Rainbows before it was time to check out Ramsay. I immediately lost a decent sized Brook Trout in the first pool. I fished upstream for about a quarter mile and caught 8 Brook Trout. I missed quite a bit but that's the name of the game. The water levels were good and the water was cold. I saw some sporadic Little Yellow Stones but nothing spectactular. The park was crowded today with picnickers but I only talked to one other fisherman. Two guys were rigging up when I was leaving at 7:30 pm. I guess they were hoping to fish for an hour or so on the evening hatch. This has been a very good fishing weekend with two trips back to back. My feet, my back and my knees are hurting and I am constantly reminded that I'm not twenty years old anymore. I just pray that I will keep healthy and somewhat fit enought to visit these my favorite places in the park.

Old 05-29-2006, 01:04 AM

Default Re: Greenbrier/Ramsay Prong Report

Sounds like you had a great time!
Cant wait to enjoy those fruitful days myself when I get time..

My legs and back were aching also, but it was from putting down laminate flooring instead.

Glad you had a good time, keep sharing the good reports..
Greg
Old 05-29-2006, 08:15 AM

Hello Hans,

I'm glad you able to catch some brookies at Greenbriar. I am already anxious to head that way this summer for some higher-elevation fishing. I was able to catch some fish on my trip in May on the Mad River in Ohio. I caught some browns and 2 rainbows on a Prince nymph using the 9' 3 wt fly rod that I showed you on the Greenbriar. The length of this rod works real well fishing small nymphs. Thanks for the response to my fiberglass blank post. I ordered a few things from mudhole yesterday since they were having a Memorial Weekend sale. I haven't ordered a blank yet, but I am thinking of getting the Lamiglas 7'6", 4 wt, 3 pc blank. If I like it I might end up selling my Orvis Superfine. I really enjoy fishing with rods that I build myself, just adds a personal touch I guess. Beware, once you start building rods you will have a closet full before you know it I applied for some forestry jobs in Tennessee a week and half ago, and hopefully I will have some luck, as I am getting very anxious to move farther north so I can do more trout fishing and be closer to my family.

Have fun and enjoy Memorial Day

Neal

Old 05-29-2006, 07:14 PM

Glad to hear from you. Yes I know the appeal to make something by yourself and then use it. I have decided to start rod building this fall when fishing season is over. I'm just scouting the market to see what's out there to purchase, as you know there are way too much stuff to be had. Anyway, I'm glad you caught some fish up in Ohio. I hope you are able to find a job in a location you rather be. I know it is competitive but one of these days as they say. Let me know when you are coming back up? I'm going to fish some waters I haven't fished in a long time this year. I'm thinking two places in NC, inside the park. Next weekend is troutfest in Townsend. I might stop at take a look at that. Take care and talk to you later.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:16 PM

Greg!

I'm glad you got the floor done. When you get done with all your'e housework and settled in later this year, I'll take you to some brookie water.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:24 PM

hey Hans,

I fished Greenbrier today as well. I forgot to PM you that I was coming into town.

I caught 1 rainbow just up from the ranger station on a thunderhead. I didnt hike up to the higher elevations today but I plan on going back to do that one day this week. The water still seems high and fast.

I am planning on fishing Abrams Creek tomorrow. We are hiking to the falls and back and I plan on packing my new 7' 4-piece.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:20 PM

Bamafly!

Are you still going to be in the area come Saturday?
Old 05-30-2006, 10:19 PM

hey Hans,

I think we are leaving on Friday or Saturday. I would like to go to the TroutFest @ LRO on Friday night.

I will prob fish Thur and Friday.