Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 05-10-2006, 09:30 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to scflyfisher
Default Davidson River, NC

Got out for a few hours last night to fish the Davidson. Started fishing approx. 6:00 p.m. Weather was little chilly, approx. 58-60 degree air temp., which slowed the bug activity a little. However, first pool had quite a few cahills coming off in sized 14 and 16 with quite a few fish rising. Tied on a dry and caught 2 small browns about 7". Appeared the fish were focused more on emergers, the dry really didn't get a lot of attention and the rises were very fast and splashy which always makes me think the fish are in a hurry to get an emerger before it gets away. Then I tied on an 18 RFSN. Got probably anothe6 6 takes, but only hooked and landed 2. The nymph fish were better, about a 10" rainbow and a 12-13" brown. My experience on the davidson is that the bigger fish are almost always caught sub-surface and that hardest time to catch fish on a dry is during a hatch. I tend to fish nymphs during a hatch and then prospect with a dry when there is little to no hatch. Figured maybe there is some people out there interested to know what is going on in NC.

SCFLYFISHER
Old 05-19-2006, 01:01 PM

Default Re: Davidson River, NC

I keep meaning to get over the fish the Davidson. I fish in Robbinsville alot on Snowbird, it looks like about a two hour trip from Robbinsville though, kind of far for a day trip. Have read about it, sounds like there are many different types of water on the river. Were you in the trophy section?
Old 05-19-2006, 01:29 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to scflyfisher

Jswitow:

I always fish the Fly-Fishing only/C&R section of the Davidson. I'm not sure if that is what is considered the trophy section or not. There is a lower section that Davidson River outfitters has exclusive rights to that has big fish b/c they are fed. I guess the entire river could be considered trophy water b/c there are giant browns throughout the enitre river. While I do prefer fishing the Little River over the Davidson, the average fish in the Davidson seems to be a little bigger than the average fish in the Little River. I hooked about an 18" brown last friday night on a #18 copper john, but couldn't get him in the net. Anyway, I would recommend the Davidson if you get a chance sometime. It really is a great place to fish, but I would also recommend a weekday if you had your choice b/c it can get crowded on the weekend, but people seem to leave it alone on the weekdays.

scflyfisher
Old 06-01-2006, 04:34 PM

Thanks SC.
If you ever get over toward Snowbird in Robbinsville send me an email, maybe we can get together.
Tight lines,