Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-17-2006, 02:56 PM

Default Re: LRO Message Site

I am definitely going to "date" myself when I say this but, do any of you remember the Doby Gillis show on TV? Remember the word that Manard G. Crebs would upper when the "W" word was spoken? W W
Old 06-17-2006, 11:44 PM

Dobie - wasnt that Gilligan's dad?

Old 06-18-2006, 08:26 AM

LAUXIER, good post. I was in the Townsend area for a week with my family. I took them to the Elkmont campground area. 2 years ago I came down on a fishing/camping solo trek. Pitched my tent, cooked over a fire, etc......and of course I fished that area hard. I showed them were I camped. I have a folder of articles on fly fishing in general and a great article on fishing in the GSMNP. Inside that folder my 19 year old daughter found a Elkmont campground map that I had kept. One night around the campfire I jotted down some thoughts on the map (I had forgotten I done this) and one thing that I wrote my daughter showed to me............If you can not find peace and solitude here, you may never find it.

I get what you are saying...............
Old 06-18-2006, 09:58 PM

wv flyer-that was a great post--daughters are special--that is for sure--fishing the park gets to you----talked to a lady today who has been going to Gatlinburg for 30 years--HAS NEVER BEEN IN THE PARK--said she is afraid of the bears--have known her for many years--she was married once--she has been a widow for about 20 years--says gatlinburg is full of single men--the park is NOT full of single men----Shut your ears Paula-----I'm here to say with confidence that if the bears of GSMNP had a rep of being lovers rather that eaters and if they had a job,and retirement,and a nice vehicle as well as a house,preferebly paid for,then the lady I conversed with to day would keep a full time tent,front flap open,at Elkmont--12 months a year--unafraid of snakes(if a snake was to bite her--it would kill the snake deader than H--)--She says there are many people like her--non-park types--I found that amazing.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:07 AM

Great story....my best friend and I have been doing a week of camping and fishing each fall for the last 30+ years....years ago his mother, after hearing all of our tales of the Park took all of the grandchildren to Pigeon Forge and Dollywood....the last day she went to the front desk to ask if there was a tour of the Smokies and the girl said "Maam, you are in the Smokies"....to this day my friend's mother still cannot understand why we keep coming back to this wonderland....bypassing PG and DW every year....