Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-15-2006, 10:47 PM

Default Fly Fishing Line

I've always wondered why fly line had to have such brite colors?My thinking is,if I can see it a half mile I know a trout can see it coming for a mile away!Yes I,ve tried the gray ; but you can,t find it in the right wt. Suggestions needed!
Old 06-16-2006, 08:18 AM

Default Re: Fly Fishing Line

i agree that a really bright fly line would be visible to the fish. Find a light colored green or blue or brown, yellow. I guess bue or green would be the best since the background above your fly line would be trees or the sky. I also try my best not to let me fly line land in the water above the fish. This is the casting upstream at a 45 degree angle thing and only letting the leader land in the lane where the fish are.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to MTN_TRT

ok... here is my opinion: *the bright colors can help you keep track of your line on the water and they can help you see takes when fishing streamers (ect.) but line color is merely a matter of choice. *If the water is low and clear IDK that the fish really care what color the line is if you lay it over them. *Now I will be honest w/ you- I do not like the bright Chart. lines or fluro. orange, I prefer light green. *It boils down to whoever is holding the rod--if you like you high vis line, then cast away my friend b/c there is no sense in fishing w/ something you do not have confidence in.

MTN_TRT

"LIFE IS GOOD"

www.cameracoffeeadventurego.blogspot.com
Old 06-20-2006, 08:09 AM

All lines cast a shadow on the water, some more than others. Years ago, i used the drab olive lines exclusively, as i get older, i need a brighter line in the mountains, i just can't keep track with the drab colors anymore.
I'm catching fish, happy to be there & if i spook one, i just laugh it off & chalk it up for the experience, hmm, i may be getting to old

Grumpy
Old 06-20-2006, 08:40 PM

Quote:
I've always wondered why fly line had to have such brite colors?My thinking is,if I can see it a half mile I know a trout can see it coming for a mile away!Yes I,ve tried the gray ; but you can,t find it in the right wt. Suggestions needed!

It's all about LOOKING GOOD on the water......would you rather watch a guy/gal casting a gray line or an orange line!!!!!!! Who cares about catching fish

Really, and interesting story here. When SA came out with it's XXD line, it was offered in mist green and orange, the mist was a 105' line and the orange 120'. This was the line that was used in casting competitions by the "big guys" (and they all used ORANGE). Anyway, SA has replaced the XXD now with the ED, and it is only offered in mist green. SA has been inundated with calls for the ORANGE color.......go figure