Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-14-2006, 06:27 PM

Default Fall fishing

I suppose I should know this already, but I don't. I am trying to plan my Fall trip to the park and I am having some trouble getting a room during the week I had planned to be there. My first choice was the week of Oct 22-28. This is obviously a busy time in Townsend based on the responses I have gotten already from two of the motels I have contacted. So here is my question. All things being equal, i.e., weather, is there a big difference in fishing and leaf color between the week in question and the following week of 10/30-11/4. My guess is probably not, but I would like to hear that from some of you guys who live in the area and fish the Park regularly. Thanks.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Fall fishing

I'll venture to say that you won't find much difference, fishing-wise, between the weeks with the caveat that autumn weather can be rather unpredictable.

As for lodging, I heartily encourage your support of Townsend businesses; however, if you have difficulty in finding vacancies, look at the Maryville area. It's only 20 minutes from Tonwsend.

Best of luck!
Old 06-15-2006, 06:13 PM

Do not know the answer to this, but I know the UT football schedule used to have a big impact on lodging in Gatlinburg, but that was years ago and I am not sure if there is a dearth of rooms due to a home game in Knoxville. You might check against the Volunteer schedule. I am a diehard UK fan, and when we were younger would stay in G-burg and drive over for the games in Knoxville. I would imagine the only way there now is by helicopter from G-burg. Watson
Old 06-16-2006, 12:09 AM

Shared a motel with some UT fans one weekend- Boy they can party . I'd try fishing a little earlier-Late September-1st half of October. The dang leaves just don't cooperate and get in the water later. The tourists also get thick on color tours- Oct is 3rd busiest month in the park. Also try camping, Make sure you get reservations,as an alternative to motelling it.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:54 AM

I would also echo Mr. Troutbum's rec....my annual trip in the fall is always that first week in October....Camp from Sunday to Friday....that way the weekenders have left and the Park is almost deserted during the week....this time of year usually brings a nice cool spell and a little color in the higher elevations....the campgrounds are nearly empty and the leafers haven't arrived....the days are still warm enough to wet wade, the trout are still looking up and you don't have to fight for a place to fish.....I know Mr. Troutbum speaks from experience also since I have bumped into him twice in the last couple of years fishing above Elkmont....can't miss him...he's the one with the bear spray.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:11 PM

FRW,

You might want to try some of the campgrounds in the Townsend area. Some of them have some small cabins with heat/air and bathhouses. Not the most convienent form of lodging, but it may be a possibility. I don't know of any by name, but I'll pay closer attention next time up and try to get those names for you. I live in Maryville and fish the Park regularly (1-2 times a week, hopefully).
Old 06-16-2006, 03:24 PM

A group of us from central Kentucky try to make it into Hazel Creek toward the end of SEP or early OCT. Usually take the party raft across Fontana and push "moose carts" with abt 100 lbs of stuff per man up to Bone Valley. Takes abt 4 hrs from the trailhead, depending on what is the level of the lake and how far up H.C. we can get before disembarking. Always a great trip; try to get in on WED and come out on SUN. Not a better place to fish, camp, drink short libations, smoke cigars and tell lies anywhere. Hope to make it this year, but will be in UT, Green River and Boulder Mountain, early in SEP and those Judges and pesky clients can be a drag on pursuit of the wiley trout. Watson
Old 06-16-2006, 10:06 PM

I guess I really didn't answer your question, FRW.

Leaf Color AND the quality of fishing depend on RAIN. *Usually after the 3rd week of October, most of the yellow and orange (leaves) have dropped. *What you will see a good amount of is red during that time, though. *Now keep in mind, the colors and depth or quality of color all depends on rain. *Here it is June 16th and it seems as if we are in the middle of August. *Not a good sign for a banner year of fall colors. *Keep in mind, though, we've seen these trees every year and are somewhat spoiled. *A good friend of mine, and a fly fishing guide I must add, from Wyoming came out a few years ago around 10/25 and was breathtaken with the color. *To us it was a little late in, for the most part, a pretty dry year, but he helped us to see things from his perspective.

The fishing can be pretty good that time of year as the trout are preparing for the winter. *This Old Park up here always holds some sneaky and unpredictable tricks up her sleve, but no matter what time of year you're here there will be plenty of beauty to experience and the anticipation of the next strike.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:50 PM

My experience has been with the leaves; Your fine until the first wk. of Nov. Then the leaves want to sink and gather in a lot of the good fishing spots.I also think the leaves puts a lot of acid in the water which the fish are not to excited about. This will last until after Christmas. BUT ANY DAY FISHING OLE SMOKEY ISN,T WASTED