Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 06-28-2006, 03:58 PM

Default Caney fork 6/24

I floated the Caney fork last saturday for the first. I have wadded it many times but this was the first tome floating it. I joined Middle Tennessee Fly fishermen, They are a great group, looking foward to more outings with them.
As far as the fishing went, for me personaly it was a little rough, as of 1:00 I had not caught one trout, missed several. Finaly had a nice 10" brown take a bhpt as the water was rising. That evening 20 min after the generator stoped and the water was falling a I caught 5 nice bows in the 10-12 inch range on a bead head prince droped behind a stimulator. Over all a good to fair day.
Sunday was a little better, caught about 8 in one hour on olive bugger or bead head prince.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:51 AM

Default Re: Caney fork 6/24

MTFF is a fine group. We've been fishing size 18 & smaller the past few weeks with good results, dosen't seem to matter what it is, as long as it's small.

Grumpy
Old 06-29-2006, 10:24 AM

I did notice alot of about size 18 scuds in the pools left over from the generating. the problem I noticed this as I was walking out. I have not fished scuds much, maybe that is the ticket. Thanks for the info. I will probabily try again in a couple of weeks.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to MTN_TRT

I was just wondering where Caney Fork is. I have never heard of it, but from the way you talk it sounds like a good water.
Thanks.

MTN_TRT

"LIFE IS GOOD"

www.cameracoffeeadventurego.blogspot.com
Old 06-29-2006, 11:59 PM

Its the tail waters of Center Hill dam. Its about 70 miles east of Nashville and about 30 miles west of Cookville on I40. Its a great river for stockers and a few hold overs, but it can get very crowded and tva offers limited windows between generations. Always check www.tva.gov/river/lakeinfo/index.htm for up to date water release scheduals.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to MTN_TRT

Alright. I appreciate the info.

Thanks,

MTN_TRT

"LIFE IS GOOD"

www.cameracoffeeadventurego.blogspot.com
Old 07-06-2006, 02:39 PM

I fished the caney on 07/04. got there @ 5:40 a.m. it was combat fishing already. Probably 15-20 flyboys whippin the water. I got a small section down a ways and didnt have any luck at all. Went back 07/05, had the whole place to myself for 3 hours before 2 others showed up. Wore the bows out all morning long.

Hint: Garman makes a mobile gps/ navigational handheld with lots of good info like best time to fish particular sites. wednesday's time was 10:00 a.m. til 10:10 a.m.

I absolutely slayed them between 10 and 10:13. Caught 4 nice bows in those 13 minutes. it was all I could do to get them in and get them back out.