Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-17-2006, 08:15 AM

Default I am hooked

Let me just say that I am officially hooked. I have been fly fishing since early this year and have only gotten a chance to go a few times but have had some success everytime I go. This time I went up the middle prong Saturday and had a great time. The best day yet and I loved every minute of it.

I got a real late start so I mainly just went up to stop at the store to get ready for next weekend. I don't think I ever got the guys name that helped me at LRO but he was VERY helpful in helping me get flys and what ever I needed. I really appreciated that.

So I go about halfway up the gravel road (don't know exactly). I go down a bit to get in and I tie on a Yellow Stimulator and drop a green weenie behind it. I always wear kinda greenish clothing and this time I really was careful about stalking around. Hiding behind stuff and walking low to the water. Just great tips on this site. I ended up catching 5 all day; with it ending with the largest trout I have caught to date. A gigantic 7" brook. I know not that big but I was happy with it. Plus I am pretty sure it was a brook but I fooled with it to much already so I got it back in the water as fast as I could.

I did run into some tubers; I couldn't believe they came up that far but it was fine with me that is what you get up here on a Sat. They went over where I fishing about 4 times because they would get out and walk up and come back down. They just happened to be where I was at. I talked to them a bit when I got and they where real nice and everything. I just sit back when they came through and waited a bit and went back at it.

Well I had to leave about 4:00 to get to the in laws; but I am already looking forward to this coming Saturday.

Oh Yeah I wonder how dorky I look walking around in my wading boots with shorts on. I am guessing I am not the only one that does this. At least I hope not.

Thanks again for everything LRO. God Bless
Old 07-17-2006, 08:43 AM

Default Re: I am hooked

I know how you feel, I am hooked too. I have only been fly fishing for a little while myself and I wish I could go everyday. And don't worry, wading boots and shorts for fly fishing in the Smokies is not dorky...it's Cool 8-)

All those who believe in Telekinesis, please raise my hand.

50.67% of all statistics are made up.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:30 PM

Nice post Emp. I have all my fingers and toes crossed that I finally get to make a trek down there late this week/weekend. The wait has been killing me but the list at home is long, and the drive down there is even longer.

Am curious what you caught your fish on. Was it the Yellow Stimulator or the Green Weenie that was doing the trick??

Paula, if you happen to read this, do you have both of these in your store??
Old 07-17-2006, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Moflyer...

I cannot promise I read every post...but I try

We do have those flies in stock.....and a bazillion others!

Looking forward to seeing you!

Paula
Old 07-17-2006, 01:45 PM

I caught them on the Green Weenie. I had a few hits on the yellow stimulator but they were small and nothing really took it. I did not say in the original but I also tried a Parachute Adams and the same happened with it as the stimulator.

Old 07-17-2006, 01:55 PM

welcome to the addiction
Old 07-17-2006, 05:47 PM

Thanks for the info. * When I was down there last (and it was this time of year), I caught everything (which wasnt much) on a nymph. *I dont know what it was called that I used (something my brother turned me onto) but had a cream/yellowish body with 5 or so wraps of red thread on the end (think there were some of those very fine feathers attached that are tied in to form a sort of a loop, maybe Paula knows what they are..) * We nicknamed it a "red head" and had a lot of fun with them until they ran out *:-? *I couldnt get them to hit on much of anything else, and am certain I tried everything I had. * Eventually turned over a few rocks in the stream and seen several cream colored eggs attached to the bottom of one of them so that is what tipped me off to the color. * Had I been aware of LRO at the time, no doubt I would have went to them for advice and would have had more success. * *Have picked up some tips on here from a poster by the name of Tennswede, among others, as well. * Isn't this board great? *

Had a lot of fun late one afternoon on the water that exits the park at Greenbriar. * There is a covered bridge that crosses it and it was obviously stocked. * We fished just upstream of the bridge. *My daughter caught her first trout ever (and on a fly line) * *using a white San Juan worm. * *