Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-17-2006, 11:36 PM

Default Good time on Abrams

Actually had some time to get out and decided to brave the Cades Cove loop summer traffic and hit Abrams for a few hours today. I wish I had the day for the the Big 'Shoe, (and not a solo venture for sure) but I just did the normal hike in and jump in before the ridge. The water was low but action was as hot as the weather. I felt almost like I was cheating - the fish were stacked up in the obvious deeper runs and shaded slicks - several fish out of the same runs. Though the majority of fish were 6 - 9, (still put a good bend in the rod for small fins) there were a couple bigger and plenty hard strikes that got away.

The colors of abrams bows are something else...
Old 07-18-2006, 07:58 AM

Default Re: Good time on Abrams

I know this will sound like a typical tourist question...but, does anyone ever fish the falls area at abrahms There sure were some nice fish visible.....might even hook a decent sized tourist which is why this may not happen very often....just curious....

Buckeyetrouter
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 07-18-2006, 02:01 PM

I'm sure there are good sized fish in that pool. Be cautious though. It is extremely dangerous. Two fatalities within a couple of years come to mind. Abrams in general is very dangerous. I take a fall just about every time I go. The fishing is superb though. I need to get back up there one of these days.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Wow, Waterborn....beautiful fish!

Thanks for sharing your pic.

Paula
Old 07-18-2006, 02:55 PM

Where do you get in at? Meaning do you go below the falls or above? I would love to go around that bend one day. Do you have any luck actually in the cove?

I have hiked to the falls before and that takes some time. Also you cannot get in there until they open gate unless you ride your bike.

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks and God Bless
Old 07-18-2006, 06:57 PM

Thanks for the responses...
If I am short on time, I usually just hike from the trail head in to about where the trail starts its uphill climb leaving the water ( which I understand is where the Big Horshoe ends if you were to continue to hike the ridge and get in the water to fish upstream.) and fish from there and up into the spring section. It's doable in 3-4 hours...
I haven't fish the cove section past the road bridge, I would think that there are some fins there, just have to find them - but the water is wamer...
If you want to fish the loop - go on any day but Sat or Wed when they close the loop to road traffic till 10 for bikers. Although I haven't done the loops yet, an early start at day break has been reccommended for the big loop but the small loop just before the falls is do able in a half days time...and go with buddy.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:19 PM

2nd ridge, Jerm. The big shoe is an all day gig.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:53 PM

Thats a beautiful pic of that Abrams rainbow. I guess the greater variety and quantity of food that is available on Abrams brings out the crimson in those rainbows. I hope to be fishing in the smokies more often in the near future since I will be moving to western Tennessee later this month. I'll still a little over 6 hours drive from the Park, but it's closer than the 10 + hour drive that I have to make now. I am looking forward to working in and recreating in the beautiful state of Tennessee

Neal
Old 07-19-2006, 09:18 AM

Hope to see ya on the water sometime in the future Neal...
And a correction about the ridges is duely noted on a short trip I hop in at the first ridge and work my way upstream...its still a jaunt over that ridge, over the foot bridge (arbutus creek) to the stretch that would be the ending point of the big shoe at the 2nd ridge - Sad, I've been here 8 years living only 45 min away from the trail head and I have yet to do the loops :-?...
Old 07-19-2006, 12:25 PM

Hi all!

I have done the loops a few times and I have had best luck on the babyshoe just above the falls. I did it on my own but it is still really not recommended. Do a search on Abrams and you will get some of the stories from the area. I think you can have about as good quality of fishing on the trailside stretches as you would in the shoes.

Neal, we gonna have to do some fishing over that way this fall.