Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 08-04-2006, 05:10 PM

Default Re: Snowbird Creek and Neighboring Creeks

14 year old!
Give me the weekend to research that one. I have never made it to the Black Mountain area. I will see what I can find out for you. That is quite a long way from Snowbird. I am thinking that you will be pretty near Brevard NC and the Davidson River is there. It can be very good, can also be very difficult. There is a trophy section with some real trophy fish. Anyway I will see what I can find.
Tight lines,
John
Old 08-04-2006, 06:44 PM

Alright man thanks! we fished the davidson river and didnt catch anything but saw some that looked as long as my leg. they were under a bridge and we tried the crappie jig technique from about 15 feet above them with a wooly booger, but it didnt work . ill look up snowbird on google and try to talk my dad into driving out there.(I wish i could drive ). Sounds like a great place to fish, thanks again.

Tight lines
The kid
Old 08-04-2006, 10:54 PM

Snowbird has been on my short list for years but have never made it, over the hill yet. I mostly fish by myself due to my work schedule, off Monday-Thursday. I left Townsend last Saturday and drove over to Calderwood to Robinsville, turned onto the Cherohola Hwy towards Tellico, actually turned at Stratton Meadows and headed down North River. Was Snowbird the creek running into Santeetlah from the left as I headed up the mountain?

I was always under the impression that it was all backcountry fishing.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:03 AM

Yes, it sounds like you turned on 143 (skyway) off 129, or maybe you went all the way into Robbinsville? In either case you would have ended up following Snowbird for about two or three miles from the Dr. Nettie C Parrot Bridge. Snowbird actually has between 12 and 14 miles of road access water. I haven't hiked all the way through the backcountry but there must be another 7 and possibly as much as another 12 miles of water up there. The creek is still surprisingly large as far as 5 miles into the back country and some impressive waterfalls, which keep the brookies safe.

Anyway there are trout all the way to Santeelah except in the hottest summers, when some of them drop down into the lake. I have heard of some monsters being caught on the lower section where you drove along the creek, particularly in the evenings. These are fish which move up out of the lake to feed on the small fish which manage to to get out of the trout farm on that stretch of the creek.
Anyway I am rambling, give it a shot sometime, now you know it really isnt very far. In the fall there are lake run browns and in winter lake run rainbows. I got one last winter that went about 8 lbs! (Can forward a pic with you email, dont know how to post pics to this site) I may never catch another that size, but you never know, and I have heard of larger fish. I catch alot of fish in the 16 to 19 inch range in the December thru February quarter. In the midday to late afternoon period I have caught as many as 4 - 16-20" fish. Pretty rare 0n Southern Appalachian trout streams! As Harry Middleton's character Arby Mulligan ( On the Spine of Time) said; "The fish are here, where are you?" You may not be a Middleton fan.
I don't get over during the week often, but you will have most of it to yourself if you go! I am there alot of weekends, if you want to fish sometime on a weekend just shoot me an email.
Tight lines,
John
Old 08-07-2006, 09:12 AM

Kid!,
Hey my apologies, did not get any good info for you over the weekend, and I will be out of town the rest of the week. Going to Canada fishing for a couple of days! An unexpected invitation was too good to pass up. May even get to catch a pike on a fly (though the guys I am going with all fish with hardware and will give grief for even bringing a flyrod!).

Tight lines!
John
Old 08-07-2006, 09:18 AM

Kid!
One more thought; If those pigs below the bridge just hang out there they probably eat bread when tossed off the bridge, take some bread to chum then from upstream drift a dearhair breadfly to them. Just a thought.
Best,
Old 09-06-2006, 05:05 PM

Made it over to Snowbird last weekend and managed to fish a little Sunday and Monday. Sunday I fished from about 8:30 to 10:15 am (we had guests !) I found the fish to be in the deeper holes in slightly out of the way places. In other words; places that were just not right by the road. I caught fish on ants(14), beetles(14) and a bead head hare's ear nymph(16). No monsters, my best brown was an 11" fat wild fish and my best bow was a supercharged 13" fish which rose in slow motion and ate my yellow bodied foam beatle like it was a maraschino cherry,.............. then proceeded to rip up the run like only a rainbow can do! A nice test for the 4 wt. I was fishing. Monday was actually a bust, fished my 6 wt with streamers in the off color (but low) water, donated a bunch of streamers to the cause and got nothing for it. Tiime may have been a factor as I didnt start until 11:00 am and called it a day by 1:00 pm.
Water was very low but cool and slightly off color. I hope it rose some with all of the rain we had Monday and Tuesday. Won't be long til the big browns start prowling around mauling things prior to spawning!
Tight lines,
Old 09-22-2006, 12:21 PM

Thought I would try to post some pics since as the saying goes a picture is worth a thousand words"! [img][/img]
The fishing can be pretty good on the stream. The rainbow are wild steelhead, spawned in the creek, migrating to the lake where they grow. They come back in the winter to spawn. They are gone usually by the 1st of April.
Fall and winter though you never know when you might stick a nice fish, it happens almost every time I fish from December - February. The browns are there too but they are as hard to catch here as in the Smokies. Once in a while though........
I have more of these pics, 15-19" fish are really pretty common in the winter.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:25 PM

Dern! That didn't work.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:00 PM
Administrator

John....

Call me...I will help you.

Paula