Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 06-22-2006, 09:41 AM

Default Montana Vacation

Me and ol'-What's-Her-Name are headed for the Bitterroot Valley of Montana next month. All the plans and reservations have been made except the most important one; where are we gonna fish?
Does anyone have a "favorite Bitteroot Valley honey-hole" they would like to share with a nice
ol'-geezer that promises not to rip the lips off your pet trout?

8-)
Old 06-22-2006, 09:50 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Montana Vacation

Uncle Jim

Welcome to the board! *About time you put in an appearance! *I was watching your account as you set it up....I was all like...haha another troll...no email address...I was gonna nail you as soon as you posted! *Alas...my radar was faulty! *

Have not fished the Bitterroot Valley, but I am sure you will get many replies from people who have! *You and ole-what's-her-name will have a grand time!

Paula
Old 06-22-2006, 10:43 AM

Try the Locsha River in Idaho, just a 30 minute drive from Lolo in the Bitterroot valley!!! *60 miles of easy access along paved highway. *Great runs for 10 to 20 inch Westslope Cuts. *Many miles of catch & release, barbless *sections. *Suckers for hoppers. *Fished the Lochsa 3 days last summer. *It was great!!! *Fishing was better there than on the Bitterroot.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:45 AM

I just returned from Montana. You will want to know that several streams are closed after 12:00p.m. because of low water and heat. One of those streams is the Bitterroot. Here is the announcement:

August 01, 2006
Montana Heat Closing In
"On Monday, Montana officials closed fishing from noon to midnight on eight main-stem rivers stretching 538 miles. Included are the Bitterroot, lower Gallatin, east Gallatin, lower Madison, Sun, Dearborn, Smith and the Yellowstone River downstream from Big Timber."
Old 08-11-2006, 08:16 AM

Thanks to all that responded to my first message! Me and ol'whats-her-name are now back from Montana. Several rivers were indeed closed from noon till midnight because of the high temps, low rainfall and irrigating farmers, but we were able to fish the Missouri, Bighole, and both the East and West Forks of the Bitterroot. The only disappointment of the trip was the lack of hatches in the Missouri and Bitterroot--Montana's Big (unclouded) Sky kept the bugs from doing their thing. A disappointment only on dry flys! The Montana Rainbows, Cuts, Browns, and Cut-Bows were suckers (no pun intended) for drag-free, size 10-12 Hairs-ear, and Pheasant-tail nymphs.
Of special note was our day in an area locals call The Land Of The Giants (LOG). We landed several fish that were 18" to 26" footballs, but several were too big to net on 3X tippet. The smallest fish we caught that day was an 18" (baby Rainbow). Paula has a couple of pictures of ol'whats-her-name's LOG beauties that may appear at this website. Gary, our LOG guide, has a couple of pictures of larger fish that were taken on top with a size 18 hook he calls The Chicken Fly. I'm trying to get him to electronicly send them.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:55 AM

Where are the pictures?