Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 08-11-2006, 01:18 PM

Default glass rods

have a notion to buy a new glass rod --any suggestions?I think diamondback and scott makes them--had afew from past years but they were stolen and some say the new ones are much better--
Old 08-11-2006, 06:04 PM

Default Re: glass rods

Ask Gumpy how much he likes his scott 703! I believe the D-backs are alittle heavier.

AA
2Timothy2:15
Old 08-12-2006, 06:03 PM

yep, kind of partial to my fibertouch. The Diamondglass rods are real nice, Lamiglass is still producing some good rods.
Fiberglass has changed over the years, lighter being one of the most favorable changes. They are still a balst to fish on small streams & creeks for whatever you want to fish for.

Grumpy
Old 08-13-2006, 11:22 AM

I have 2 diamondbacks - the 7' 4wt. and the 8' 5wt. I love them both. The 5 wt. is just a bit too slow in my opinion.

Dude
Old 08-16-2006, 03:06 PM

The new s-glass rods are nice so I hear. I don't have a lot of flush cash this year due to car problems so I bought an old fiberglass rod of off ebay for 25 dollars. Then I bought a grip and graphite reel seat plus a set of snake guides and a new tip top. All I invested was 40 dollars tops. I cut the rod from being 8ft down to 7ft right above the handle with a hacksaw. I'm going to wrap it this week. I'm hoping it will be fishable.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:09 PM

bought the scott 4wt 7'6" glass rod--took it to station camp creek about 30 miles from here---it casts real good--first cast or two it was wobbly and slow--then i caught onto the action--and it casted much better--the glass rods of old are like 62 ford galaxies to this new c6 zo6 corvette scott fiberglass rod.went to war fork--caught 2 rainbows(released in late april) on adams pc-one was 15 inches!!! the other a little over 12 inches--don't get excited--these things are like house cats--most will die in the warm waters-the rest will live on in deep underground rivers that flow though caves that lead the waters out not 200 yards from where they went underground,the waters exit a cave.into a deep pool--nice trout can be caught here spring and summer.--ps took the 2 trout home for frying.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:59 AM

I own a couple of the new s-glass fiberglass rods, and I think they're some of the best "fishing" rods made.

The Diamondglass 8.5' 4wt protects light tippets better than any rod I've owned (and that's getting to be an ugly number) and is a very, very smooth caster. I think the shorter 2-pc Diamondglass rods are a little faster than I'd like (their 3-pc rods are uniformly good).

I'm afraid I have little experience with the Scott glass rods - and I rarely fish rods shorter than 8' - but I have cast modern glass rods by McFarland and Steffen Brothers, and both are excellent.