Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Salmon and Steelhead

Old 01-31-2006, 12:23 AM

Default Fly Fishing Alaska

I'm planning a trip to Alaska this summer. I'm just starting my research into quality lodges that specialize in fly fishing. If anyone could tell me of there experiences or familiarity with any of the lodges I would really appreciate it.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:22 PM

Default Re: Fly Fishing Alaska

TS,

Your possibilities are only limited by your time and money. I've gone twice, and to two very different types of places. Anywhere you go you will definitely have the time of your life. Both times I went with a group of guys, which makes it much more enjoyable, and usually cheaper. The first trip was to Soldotna and the Kenai River. We flew to Anchorage rented an SUV and drove to Soldotna. We stayed at the Eagle's nest B&B which wasn't on the river, but was very nice. Our guide service was Wes the Samurai. He made all the fishing arrangements, as we did 3 days of Salmon fishing and one day of halibut fishing out of Homer. You can figure on about $300-$400 a day for guide service and accomodations, so a week should run you about $1500 - $1800, plus airfare and car rental.

The other trip was very different. This had to be the ultimate fly fishing trip. We flew into Anchorage and took a small plane to Anvik. After about a 2 hour jet boat ride up the Anvik river we arrived at the Anvik River Lodge. This place to say the least is pretty close to heaven. All meals are included, and were pretty much gourmet. The last night we had crab legs as big as my arms. The fishing was phenomenal, and you have the whole river to yourself. We caught arctic char, greyling, chum salmon, and kings all on flies. This trip will run you about double for a week, but if you ever have the chance I would highly recommend. Good Luck
Old 06-05-2006, 10:49 PM

I cant give lodging or any kind of recommendation at all. but I will say That while I was @ Clear air force station, I caught probably close to thirty trout in maybe 1.5 hours. It was so bad that i was just dropping my line close to the ones that i wanted or thought would fight good and move if someting smaller would get there first. I fished in Kodiak during the salmon run. they dont really bite . Snagging is not exactly lets say allowed. In anchorage it was beautiful, but more like combat fishing. Spend the money on a good service recommende by the BBB.
Get out in the wild. It will cost you, but the reward is much greater. I f you make it to kodiak island, go to The Rendesvous restaurant, the owners are great people and the service/ smoked salmon salad is worth missing two hours of fishing. check out the bald eagles in back lot. Nice roost. You can tell them Paul from Hometown News referred you to there. I played the Coast Guard base there 2 yrs ago.
Old 07-08-2006, 04:45 PM

My son and I just came back from Alaska. We did a 5 night float trip and camped on the river. Outfitter was Freelance Outdoor adventures. They were awesome. Great food, great guides, and great people. The King salmon run is about 2 weeks late this year and the run is strung out. Smaller pods of fish moving up river than normal. But, we did catch some nice kings and trout all on the fly.

Old 07-27-2006, 10:08 AM

Which river did you float down? I am planning a trip for next summer (first trip to Alaska). I lived/worked in Washington state for 1 1/2 years (some good steelhead/salmon/trout fishing), but I have heard Alaska is the ultimate experience.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:32 PM

Wow,

You'd think this subject would ring hard in the heart and soul of fly fishermen and we would get some good dialog and pictures out of it. * Oh well, *:-/ . How about a new thread? :-/ I know both times I've gone it's been this time of year and I promised my son we would go back next summer, before his senior year. Anybody been lately?

justfishing
<'))))><
Old 08-23-2006, 12:25 PM

Well, I guess Alaska doesn't envoke visions of great fishing trips from everyone. For me and my son, it surely does. Here's a few pics from our last trip. August 2004. We were able to take Arctic Char, Greyling, and Chum Salmon. *Great place.

Makes me smile everytime I recall. * * * * * * *

justfishing
<'))))><