Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-23-2006, 10:58 AM

Default Plunge Pools

Good day to all,

I final caught a wild someky mnt. tout last week. It is so rewarding to final catch one. I have a question about plunge pools.
I tried to fish a couple plunge pools and would like to know the best way to do it. Another question what is considered the cascades on the middle prong above tremont?

Thanks for all who help.

Patrick
Old 08-23-2006, 11:02 AM

Default Re: Plunge Pools

Quote:
*Another question what is considered the cascades on the middle prong above tremont?

Thanks for all who help.

Patrick
Drive until you can't drive any further and park. Cross the bridge and go up the trail maybe 1/4 mile. The trail will bend to the left and the grade will become slightly steeper. You will be able to see the cascades at that point. I think there is a little bench that overlooks the cascades on the left hand side of the trail. You will know once you see them. Good luck.

All those who believe in Telekinesis, please raise my hand.

50.67% of all statistics are made up.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:30 PM

Sivad!

When I approached a plunge pool I normally fish the tailout first. I.e. the chute of water closest to you when you fish upstream. I cast onc or twice and if nothing happens I crawl upstream a few feet and try to lay down the fly at the side of the run where the foam builds up. Very rarely will you catch anything right in the middle of the pool since it is at it's deepes there and it takes a lot of energy for a trout to rise from a depth of maybe 8ft up to the surface for a tiny insect. If you are nymphing it is a different story. Then your objective is to get the nymph down to those deep spots. If dry fly fishing, go upstream and stay very low and minimize false casting. Try instead to dapple your fly with only a couple of feet of leader out. Good Luck!
Old 08-23-2006, 01:00 PM

Thanks for the tips!!!!!!!

Is there Brook trout above the cascades?

Thanks
Old 08-23-2006, 02:28 PM

You will have to walk a ways further....the railroads and the Park in the past have both stocked the waters above the cascades with rainbows.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:33 PM

After hitting all seams with a dry, sometimes its work switching to a heavy nymph and high stick the pool - concentrating on the area in the tight against the fall and under the whitewater...
Old 08-23-2006, 02:35 PM

Actually it can be "work" but I ment worth switching over to a heavy nymph in a promising pool...
Old 08-23-2006, 02:37 PM

What tennswede said is good advice. I'd only add that if you're nymphing then in order to get the fly deep enough, quick enough it is a good idea to cast the fly above the waterfall and let the waterfall get the fly deep. This is the only was to get a fly down deep really quickly that i know of. Some bigger fish hold at the bottom of those pools right where the waterfall empties into the head of the pool i guess you could load it up with 5 pounds of lead weight but then you'd just scare all of the fish.