Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 09-04-2006, 05:09 PM

Default split shot...

dos anyone use splitshot? :-/ any pros/cons
Old 09-05-2006, 09:07 AM

Default Re: split shot...

i use split shot but only when i absolutely have too. it does get your nymph down pretty fast but if you use to much it is hard to cast.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:06 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to scflyfisher

I'll pretty much use split shot anytime I want to get a nymph deeper than 2-3 feet or I'm fishing in high water that has some speed to it. This is only the case when fishing nymphs usually size 10 or smaller. Just seems liek from my experience, even a #10 Bead Head w/o split shot just won't get down more than a couple of feet quick enough. Now if I go out and throw a Helgramite or some other ugly big fish fly, no split shot needed there. Throwing big stuff like that is like having a few split shot on your line, they get down deep just fine with no extra help. Good rule for me: If the water is crystal clear, that usually means its low and extra weight on nymphs isn't always necessary, if the water is stained like sweet tea or worse, then it's up some and I'll generally use split shot. Obviously this isn't always the case, but its a good starting point for me. One last thing, if your fishing w/o splitshot and not getting bites or snags, then thats a good sign your nymph isn't getting down deep enough.

SC
Old 09-06-2006, 07:56 PM

I find myself using splitshot all the time - in the park and tailwaters - I like the dark green coated, non-lead stuff - can't remember the name off hand, maybe dinnesmore (?), but its egg shape and I think its it works just fine in all water clarities - though you really have to crip em on with floro...
I do like wieghted fly for highsticking - though I've used shot and an unweighted fly and you get the feeling that there is not a "direct" connection to what the fly is really doing and as a result miss some takes..though sometimes in higher/faster water I'll end up putting a shot with a wieghted fly...
In pocket water, shot can be joy or pain - it'll get you down in the swift, small bowls - but getting snagged is constant, have to vary the wieght I suppose or high stick.
And lastly, I like using a shot with emergers - dust that fly up with some frogs fanny and fish the bottom colum up and "teather" you fly from the shot like a kite on a string when you see bottom to mid level feeders - taking off the tin when there is more action just sub / or on the suface...works great for the emerging black flies on the Clinch...