Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-07-2006, 09:57 AM

Default Smokies fishing this weekend?

I just wanted to let everyone headed to the Park this weekend "8th-10th", that there is a hot rod car show going on this weekend in Pigeon Forge. The traffic is expected to be so heavy that the Sevier Co. schools are dismissing classes early on Friday at 2pm, believe it or not! I would bypass Sevierville and Pigeon Forge and access the Parks waters thru Townsend. The only "Peaceful"side of the Smokies left. Get there early and have a great time!

Troutman
Old 09-07-2006, 10:48 AM

Default Re: Smokies fishing this weekend?

Troutman!

Thanks for the info. there's one other alternative, go Chapman hwy go straight on Dolly Parton Pkwy towards Newport in Sevierville and turn right on Mddle Creek rod which brings you out at Dollywood in Pigeon Forge. This will take you out just a stonethrow from the spur. It still might be congested but at least you are avoiding the main drag. Another idea would be wears valley going in to Metcalf Bottoms. Just an idea.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:43 PM

tennswede, the backroad that you are refereceing used to be a good one for the locals to get around all of the traffic. Now though, even the tourists know qabout that route and it is just about as bad as going through town
Old 09-07-2006, 03:25 PM

I sit here at my office in Sevierville, looking out the window at the bumper to bumper traffic headed to Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg thinking about fishing when I should probably be doing something else. If you come to Sevierville, go North on Dolly Parton Pky(411) roughly 2-3 miles and turn right on Hwy 416, follow it to Pittman Center. Its an easy drive over to G-burg and up into the park.
Troutman
Old 09-07-2006, 08:42 PM

Troutman!

Yeah you are right that is a good route to take. The only drawback is that it is a lot longer and takes of course some time. It is also some curvy sections once you get through Richardson Cove. I guess when all the tourists have figured out every little backroad we have to drive over Atlanta to get to the other side of the hill. He He just kidding. It is frustrating though at times the best advice anyone can give is to go up early get out of bed in time and you can go through Pigeon Forge solo. I've done it at around 4:30 am or so.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

'Course y'all could just move to Blount County! Did I really say that See... this is why we call it the "Peaceful side of the Smokies".

Gerry Romer
"I've since learned to use the best knot rather than the one that uses the least line. I go through more tippet material but compensate by drinking cheaper whiskey. One must have priorities." ... Art Scheck
Old 09-07-2006, 11:06 PM

Hello all i hope everyone had a great weekend but i did not read were anyone caught any fish did
anyone catch any fish, and if you did what were they hitting. I had some friends that went they caught some on a green winee. So howabout it. [smiley=grin.gif]