Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-08-2006, 09:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer
Default Bears

Our local newspaper - The Maryville Daily Times, aka "The Daily Error" - occasionally prints some useful information. One of today's front page stories was about recent bear activity in the park. *I've excerpted a couple paragraphs to post here. You can read the whole article by clicking on the link that follows. For those of you driving in from out of town, it might be a good idea to bookmark their website and check the paper from time to time. Do a search for bear activity stories. Their online publication can be found at * *www.thedailytimes.com

"Backcountry users should be particularly cautious about how they handle and store food over the coming months. The park has posted warnings and closed three campsites where aggressive bears have been found.

'We had a person scratched in a tent at Walnut Bottoms in North Carolina, and we had a very aggressive bear on Little River Trail above Elkmont (also in North Carolina) this past two weeks,' DeLozier said."

http://www.thedailytimes.com/sited/story/html/263923

Hope this information is helpful.

Gerry Romer

"I've since learned to use the best knot rather than the one that uses the least line. I go through more tippet material but compensate by drinking cheaper whiskey. One must have priorities." ... Art Scheck