Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-04-2006, 08:54 PM

Default sunday----greenbriar

a good day--caught two rainbowson a #16 adams parachute-they wereabout 6 inches long--changed to a bryant bomber--a nymph with a little too much head--it sinks fast but rises slow in a cup-like fashion--i tried it out--my friend invented it--it does it all--as long as you use a 6 wt rod--and on this sunday i caught no fish on it--actually i think it is over-weighted and casts like a dumbell---tied on a beetle-kept a tight line--bingo!!--started catching rainbows.I caught 4 Rainbows--one was 9 inches long--Was fishing greenbriar--close to the picnic area i think--i parked a ways back down the road--
Old 09-05-2006, 11:12 AM

Default Re: sunday----greenbriar

lauxier,
Greenbrier is a special place for me and my wifes family. My wife was a Whaley and alot of her relatives lived and are buried there from pre-park era times. I have a great old sepia colored photo of her grandfather holding up a string of brook trout "Specks" he had caught on his cane flyrod back in the 1940s. There are lots of rainbows in the lower stretches and a great brook trout fishery upstream. Thanks for reminding me of that....Hmm maybe next weekend!
Old 09-05-2006, 01:25 PM

I second that, Greenbrier has given me so much, keep it clean and keep it up. I had my best day in the Smokies period this year back in June. In fact the Spec in my avatar is from Greenbrier.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:34 PM

Hello all i'm a newbie and not got to fish greenbier but hope to soon is there any good spots or is all
good up in greenbier
Old 09-08-2006, 01:46 PM

Hello Ray,

There is plenty of good water on Greenbriar, like many smoky streams the farther you walk the better it gets, espeicially if you enjoy solitude while your fishing. It also depends on the time of year, as you generally need to head farther upstream during the summer months, whereas the lower portions can be good in spring. If you you want to get into broookies a little sweat will generally improve your chances as they become more dominant as you head upstream. A good trail map can be helpful if you wish to explore the headwaters.

Good luck, and have fun!

Neal
Old 09-08-2006, 03:06 PM

ray1- section of the river there can be extremely slick. use felts and a lot of care when wading. Probably one ofthe most beautiful parts of the park.

Tight lines
Randy Sale
Old 09-08-2006, 03:10 PM

I was at Greenbriar for first time this Aug. and it looked great. Question.......at the first split, is it best to keep going straight or turn left over the bridges...also, does the gravel road stop and trails start and how far after the split would that happen.....

thanks in advance....

buckeyetrouter

Go Vols and Go Buckeyes
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 09-09-2006, 10:15 PM

When I've only an hour or two before heading home on a Sunday (when I was still teaching I used to fish upstream from the second bridgeto left after split. usually caught several "bow's" to soften the trip home.