Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-19-2006, 02:59 PM

Default yellowstone and beyond

back from 10 days in yellowstone and montana--fished the lamar river first--water was low,low--caught a few rainbows the largest was 15 inches on a#16 adams para.--then fished gibbons (water was cold)--no luck--did best fishing the firehole--caught several small rainbows--on a #14 royal wulff--left the park--headed for jackson--tried buffalo creek--caught several small trout--nothing to write home to mom about--tried pacific creek--not much action------
yellowstone and the tetons were beautiful--a great vacation--fished the big horn with guide--caught many quality fish using hopers,beetles,ants,and weighted nymphs--the guide was A.T. Hadley--he can catch fish in places I could not get a drink of water --it was a good--good day--got back Sat.--ran to the smokies on Sunday for a little meeting with family--got into townsend at about 10am--checked tremont--toooooo crowded--felt sorry for the fish--as i left the gravel and proceeded out of tremont on blacktop,came up behind a newer SUV--looked to be a family--someone rolled down a window and threw a soft drink can out--i stopped and picked up the can a kind of waved it at the suv as it went away from me,on down the road--i know the driver saw me cause i saw him looking in his rear view mirror--he did not stop--i did not stop either cause i got his lic. plate no.--went to sugarland--reported littering--gave the can and plate no.--to receptionist--assured me it would be taken care of--i will not abide the willful contamination of our park--the driver of the SUV should have stopped--backed up and retreived the can from me --I do notcare if a child did throw it out of the window--a lost Sunday--no fishingjust aggrevation--
Old 09-19-2006, 03:08 PM

Default Re: yellowstone and beyond

Terrible story (I mean the littering part). I hope they fine that guy but more likely they wont do anything because of lack of time and funds.

thanks for the report about yellowstone. One day I'll make it there, i may be 80 years old, but by golly i'll make it there and fish it

Old 09-19-2006, 03:11 PM

russ--do you know the proper way to report littering in the park
Old 09-19-2006, 03:15 PM

With a big stick up against the hood!

Really, I have no earthly idea. i guess I'd have done what you did. Write the plate down, see which way they were heading and go to a ranger and inform him.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:13 PM

lauxier!

Thank you for your work. It is an ongoing battle. I have preached litter pick up on fly fishing boards for years and I don't think it helps much because I was preaching to the already converted. I seldom see litter from fly fisherman although I was at Tremont Sunday evening as well and found a discarded leader package. I would like to think it was an accident. I picked up six beer bottles right at a Parking area on the main river earlier in the afternoon. I am sick and tired of it. I don't know what it take to teach these people. I come home just about every night to my corner lot here in Knoxville, TN and let me tell you, I have to pick up several cans and bottles along with assorted junk just about every night. I think you did the right thing about reporting the tag to the ranger. Next time instead of spending all that time and gas to drive to a visitor center just called the park service and report it over the phone. 865-436-1294