Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 10-02-2006, 03:48 PM

Default Anyone fish the Clinch River lately?

I haven't been able to fish the Clinch for a couple of months due to work and the generation schedules. Has anyone fished it lately that can tell me how it's fishing. Thanks,

All those who believe in Telekinesis, please raise my hand.

50.67% of all statistics are made up.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:20 PM

Default Re: Anyone fish the Clinch River lately?

Hey Griff. *I usually fish the Clinch about one or two times per week depending on generation and weather. *Fished this past Saturday and Sunday (Oct 21 & 22). *While the fishing was not red-hot, it was steady.

During August and early September, caddis pupa patterns and soft-hackled wetflies tied in tan colors were working very well. *Some days I was catching 15 to 20 trout in 3 hours time. *They are not producing well at this time, but I still carry them because I've experienced caddis adult ovipositing into late November at times whereby the trout are going crazy. *This happened to me November of last year during the middle of the month. *The best fish was a 17 inch brown trout taken on a size-18 soft hackle with tan hare's mask body and sparse tan, hen hackle, with fine gold wire ribbing.

Currently, midge patterns have been producing well around Clinton and upstream just below or above the weir dam.

Sat & Sun, I fished from 11:30 a.m. till 3:00 p.m. downstream around Clinton and hooked 4 trout in 3 hours. *All rainbows... two were small with two being about 12 inches, but feisty. *The better fish took a size-20, 1/16-inch black tungsten beadhead midge pattern with a body tied from a stripped peacock herl. *

To tie this pattern, I use Danville's 70 denier thread in an olive-brown color. *That color matches the herl well in case a gap develops in the herl during wrapping. *I use two, 4-turn whip finishes just behind the beadhead to secure it in place and to build up slightly to the size of the larger beadhead opening in back. *That keeps the beadhead from slipping backwards down the hook shank. *Lightly coat the herl and thread wraps with Sally Hansen's Hard-as-Nails nail polish (available at pharmacies). *Makes a decent head lacquer, too and it dries quickly.

Sunday, the same pattern worked well in the evening just below the weir dam. *I caught 3 nice brown trout. *They were not large, but put up a good fight. *Then I had to hustle to get off the river for the 6:00 p.m. generation.

I've been tying knotted leaders of about 10 feet in length. *To those I add about 4 feet of 6X tippet material. *When cast, it lands in a bit of a pile or series of "S" curves. *It gives the fly a chance to sink slightly before being pulled away. *The 6X works well in the clear water and its suppleness gives the tiny flies better action.

I've noticed also, that many of the hits occur after a dead-drift, which is followed by a subtle change of direction and increase of speed. *This likely appears to the trout as an emergence behavior and they grab the fly before it can get away. *Also, allow your flyline and leader to straighten out completely downstream before you make your next cast. *Let it hang there a few seconds, then either pull your flyline slowly upstream, move the rod tip off to one side so a secondary current can pull at it, or lift the rod tip slowly. *Many of my best trout take at this time. *If you lift the rod tip, simply make a rollcast pickup.

I've been flyfishing many years, but I relocated to Tennessee only 3 years ago. *Learning to fish the Clinch river has been an eye-opening experience, but I love it. *It's a great and grand challenge. *If you caught fish everytime out, it would soon loose it's appeal and challenging effects.

Hope these few words will give you some good reflection and help your fishing. *Just do not forget to experiment at times. *Also, when on the water, forget about the fishing at times, and be observant. *Take the time to look around and check out the insects and various trout feeding activity. *That will tell you a lot about what you need to do. *Sometimes, I do not rig up my flyrod until I've gotten in the water and take the time to look around. *That's on the days when time is less of a factor. *Then move to a log, or the shore to rig up after observing the "bugs" and the trout.

Tight loops to you... tie one on... S
Old 10-25-2006, 01:09 PM

Thanks Scott! That's some great info. We need to try to meet up on the Clinch sometime.

How well does the Clinch fish in the fall/winter?

All those who believe in Telekinesis, please raise my hand.

50.67% of all statistics are made up.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:59 PM

In the same boat, haven't hit the Clinch in a while - use to fish there religiously, but it seems that it hasn't fished as well recently - haven't seen the numerous amout of big feeders around like in years past - maybe just me (good to see you're tagging some Scott)- and it seems a lot of compensation with fingerlings that are now pobably getting some size to them...then the whole rock snot thing kinda took the wind outta my sails for a while, being primarily a wader it was tough seeing that junk around Millers ...but I'm ready to come back and see what gives and if any of the monsta browns have moved up..in the winter. Spotting these "logs" and sight fishing them is a blast throug out the winter, though if they are in the mist of doing thier thing, they don't seem to care much about your fly...

Winter is my favorite time to fish the Clinch (though if they would let us have a decent sulphur season, I'd say it be first) Lotta midges - mainly an olive #20/22 and a smaller black midge (26 or so), and some of even smaller....black flies galore (maybe even more so with the didymo ) and a smattering of little black caddis, fishing them if you see 'em about- I'd concentrate on midges/black fly, have some small pheasant tails and scuds on hand ( I like to drop the smaller midge/black fly larvae pattern off of)....

But I have to tell ya, Clinch is grand, but the SoHo is worth the 2hr drive - winter long BWO hatches with sporatic sulphurs, midges and black flies - can be fish soup at times despite the gas to get there...check it out sometime...