Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-27-2006, 07:48 PM

Default Abrams creek

Is Abrams Creek have good fishing because a while back I backpacked to it and camped a night with my dad and both of use caught nothing. is it a good place to fish or were we just unlucky? Also if it is good fishing what should I use to fish it (flyfish).

Giantfish
Old 10-27-2006, 10:02 PM

Default Re: Abrams creek

Its a good place to fish but not always easy. Same flies as other Smokies streams should generally do the trick if the fish are hungry. I would start with a smaller GRHE or maybe a George Nymph personally...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 10-27-2006, 11:34 PM

When did you go? If you walked up to Little Bottoms,like it sounds, you might have been in warm water if was summer- early fall? I use to fish it a lot, and would have "off and on" days even when the water was cool. I think that the area above the falls, excepting the "shoes" has seen a lot of pressure. I remember years ago, seeing lot of trout along the banks under the brush and trees. But just because you don't see them there anymore, DOESN'T NOT mean it doesn't have fish. They're there!!!

I think Abrams is the type of stream a fisherman needs to spend time on, learn its quirks, and develop confidence in to consistently catch fish. I used to catch fish there when I fished it more. I find myself fishing solo more often and having learned from experience to respect the slickness of its bottom, so I fish other water more now.

As a rule, most of the hatches other the other streams in the park occur here also. I would suggest walking down from the Cades Cove area downstream towards the falls, (STAY AWAY FROM THE HORSE SHOES, THEY CAN BE DANGEROUS). In the spring Parachute Adams, EHC'S, Quill Gordons will work for dries. FELT SOLES and a Wading Staff of some type is necessity. Also be prepared for a slip or two, the bottom is one of the most slippery I've ever seen.
Randy Sale
Old 10-27-2006, 11:44 PM

Sorry, I kinda forgot about that yes I did do what you said. Little Bottoms overnight 3 miles in (i think). I gess your right about the fish being there, It's just that our luck was so bad that I just got to thinking. Well thinks for the tips.

Giantfish
Old 10-28-2006, 12:27 AM

Did you enjoy spending a night with the raccoons there? Several years ago, I had 'coons almost eating out of my cooking pot while it was cooking. *Some Scouts were camping there also. They hung there food using nylon "ski" rope. They went out without breakfast as the coons enjoyed it that night.

With Trout in the park, water temp is a big factor in their feeding behavior. Last summer, I found that a hike of two-three miles upstream, meant the difference between catching and not catching fish. Follow Byron's fishing report, there are patterns between fishing success and the stream conditions. He does an excellent job of pointing those things. Having fished the Park, off and on again, for 30+years, I believe stream conditions and fly presentation may be more important overall than a specific fly pattern. I believe I saw you were 14 under another topic. I recommend strongly you follow this board- there are a lot of excellent fishermen posting here and they are giving out a ton of great advice. This is ONE OF THE BEST websites around. I would also recomend Flyanglersonline.com as they provide a lot of tutorial stuff, tying, leader making, etc this board doesn't.
Tight lines
Randy Sale