Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-29-2006, 10:26 AM

Default Re: Preference of Leader to Flyline connection

I like the way the braided loops pass though the rod guides better than a knot. *I have had a couple of the braided loops fail where the loop is made and the material woven back on itself. *The loop itself opened up, but the material has never slipped on me. *Still, a catastrophic failure that cost me a fish once and a team of flies once. *On the advice of someone at another website, I added some pliobond to the part of the loop where the two ends tie together. *I don't know if that fixes it, but I haven't had a failure since.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:07 AM

I've completely coverted to using the "speed" nail knot, if you know to tie a uni knot your good to go, have not had any problems with this knot at all.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:02 PM

I use Orvis lines with the loop built in. But I've still got some lines that I have to use something else. Nail knots are good, but are a pain for me to tie. But I actually like the Orvis finger-puzzle type, now that I've put a few on (I did lose an entire leader to one a few years ago...). What I've done differently than most other people is that once I 've got the finger-puzzle on, and I've tested it for tightness, I then wrap the sheath with 6x flourocarbon and tie it off. It's pretty, it's smooth, it's tough, and it works well. I'll say that the biggest problem with any type of connection is that no one bothers to check their condition before you go fishing.

Josh