Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-30-2006, 03:41 PM

Default River picks

I can't chose a river to fish later on this year (a trip). I need some help to chose so pick one Hike in stream means any stream you have to hike to. Pick yuor favorite and the one with most fish and the most fun. I NEED IDEAS!!!!!!!!!! I will go to the top two most voted streams. Thanks for the help. Oh yeah this is for the Smokys except the Clinch.

Giantfish
Old 10-30-2006, 06:08 PM

Default Re: River picks

Giantfish,

Since you are new to FF I would not concern myself with the best stream or most fish. *Each mountain stream has it's own unique flavor, characteristic,and charm. *You stated in a previous post that you want to fish all the streams of the smokies, so I say, choose any stream(I don't consider any stream a bad one) and begin your quest. *What you will discover along the way will speak volumes and shape you into a great fly fisherman,in doing so, you will have discovered what streams are best!!! * *

* * DryFly1

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 10-30-2006, 06:17 PM

I guess your right but the poll will help a little. I have discovered some "heaven holes" in spin fishing but since I havent caught a fish on a fly rod yet I was wondering the best stream to go to to get a fish plus have fun and it be easy to begin at. Thanks for the advise. You are a very wise man. I found out so far that a hike in srteam and Little river are the most popular, so I will try them first and go find some new ones to. I liked what you said so I will close the poll tonight. . Talk to you later.

Giantfish
Old 10-30-2006, 06:44 PM

hi Giantfish......being new to ff, the best thing would be accessibility to the water.....this past Aug, my fiance and I were returning from G-burg and as we turned off river road and started towards townsend, she said "let's stop here".......it was about 15 minutes before dark and I swear that what ever was hatching made a cloud that was hard to cast thru (well, not quite that thick)...anyways, there is a section just into the park and past the Smokies Nat. Park sign ( from townsend) that gave us 7 bows in approx 15 minutes [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]...it is very open and easy to fish and the bows were nice ( there is some kind of cable that goes into the water at this piont)....I'm sure LRO can pinpoint the location for you if you talk to them...

good luck on your quest....
buckeyetrouter
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 10-31-2006, 12:36 PM

Giantfish-I believe you said you were going later this year. If it is winter fishing realize it can be very hit or miss and is usually very slow. Look for sunlit pools in the lower river that will warm up quickly. Fish these in the afternoon when the water has warmed up slightly. A few degrees may make the difference.
Years ago, I found a pool of fish above Elkmont while hiking in January. Went back the next day, and floated every nymph I had through the hole- Water was too cold, they just kept their noses down. On the other hand, I had a blast with a small blue dun hatch late one February above Metcalf Bottoms. We had had a warm spell for several days of a warm rain, then it got colder. The flies were hatching in "the warmer" water but it was so cold on the surface that they had problems getting off the water. A lot of trout got fat for a couple hours. Remember Water Temperature is a big factor.
Randy Sale
Old 10-31-2006, 12:56 PM

2nd the lower elevations if you are fishing winter...though there are some mid elevation post spawn brown action to be had if you know where to look 8-), though if it was dead in the winter, I'd go for Abrams - being "spring" water the temps are warmer in the winter and cool during the summer...I think that fish move up on both accounts to take advantage of the better temps...
The best time on Abrams recently was late Jan and a small PT...
Clinch can have some nice midge hatches and rising fish all winter long as well big browns around the island...