Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 09-04-2006, 08:04 AM

Default Re: Arkansas

For guides, check with Jimmy Taylor or John Wilson, John targets large fish, Jimmy catches all of 'em.

Grumpy
Old 09-04-2006, 02:36 PM

thanks for all the replies guys. i was on an arkansas board and a trout crack was their top reccomendation. does anyone know where i can get the recipe for that thing. one of my grandads friends set up with a guide, i never got his name, but i trust our friend got us a good guide. ill definitely check out that trophy section of the norfork. thanks again.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:45 PM

San Jaun on Dry run at the Norfork is king. I wish i was 16 .

October through January is great aroun here you need to come on. Ozark Angler has a great shop and a great fishing report. I have not been up there, but I understand that the Norfork was so low from our dry summers, that they started some maintenance that was scheduled for a couple of years from now. I hear that means good wading, and little if any generation. Your guide should be able to verify that. I here things all the time that don't seem to pan out.

You guys will have a great time.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:44 PM

hey gusy my trip was this week and i have to tell you it was AMAZING!
we arrived at our cabin monday evening and the white was being run at 4 generators. right in front of our cabin there was a litlle wadeable water so i got out and swung a olive wb for about 15 minutes and caught a fat 15 invch rainbow, but thats not the story.
tuesday morning we met our guide and headed over to the norfork. his name was Gabe, never caught his last name. me and my dad caught at least 50 fish between us that morning, the largest bein right at 19 inches they were caught on a light brown # 14 san juan. after lunch Gabe took us over to dry run creek. Gabe had two "honeyholes" that he took us to. that place is amazing. in 3 hours of fishing i caught about 35 fish the largest a 23 incher, we had a blast.
the next morning me and dad and my younger brother went back to dry run creek. little bro had a tough time. when dad wasnt gettin his tangles undone he was hitting himself in the back of his head with split shot and missing fish. the day proceeded with me hooking the fish fish and him playing them. the largest fish of the day was a 20 incher. i did hook into a 10+ pound fish. she was foul hooked right in the fin on her back and that fight was over quickly. we named her "big momma".
the next morning they werent running any generators on the white so we fished for about two hours hooking into a few good ones but we couldnt seem to land them. we called it quits and when into the cabin for some of my grandmother's pecan pancakes. yummmmmmmmm.
after breakfast we decided to go fish the norfork again but they were running two generators there and three on the white. so, we were faced with a tough decishion. should we go back to dry run creek or not. after some prayer and lots of thinking we decided to fish it. we absolutely tore them up. i finally caught big momma and she was big but not as big as i thought. she was about 22 inches and as thick as a football. i proceeded to land some of her cousins. 4 20+ inch browns, some broad shouldered rainbows, and a cuthroat that looked like a coho salmon. it had a forehead and a big hooked lip. after a while i had to let little bro where come where i was fishing and i ventured upstream. i found a perfect spot for big fish. it was right around knee deep, and about 5 foot across. on my first cast i hooked a 10 -12 inch rainbow and was playing it when out of the depths comes a massive brown that tries to eat my rainbow. he didnt eat and i hooked into a few decent sized browns and bows all about 18-20 inches. i hear my dad yelling for me telling me its time to go and i thouht oh crap, im not going to catch this fish. i tell dad to hold on , one more cast, well i threw my little san juan into the current and prayed for big momma 2 to take it. she did. i fought her for over 20 minutes. she would drag me upstream and down, upstream and down and she finally started tiring out. i got her almost into the net and you know how big browns are, theyve always got one more run. she running about 100 yards downstream and i had to run down the middle of the creek trying to keep up with her. we fonally got her netted and she was as every bit big as i thought she was. she was 30 inches long and had a 15 inch girth. we got our pics and released her. she was massive.
id like to say thanks again for all the tips and help you guys gave me. it was a great trip.

tight lines

p.s- i dread the day i turn 17
Old 10-07-2006, 11:19 AM

Well my post was a day late and a dollar short, but you figured it out. Sounds like you had a great trip to my place. I am proud of it, and hope you will be back. I was sorry to hear that they are generating on the Norfork again, I was hoping to get up there in a couple of weeks. Now it will be subject to the gen sched again.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:06 AM

I'll agree with my son (14 year-old...) that Arkansas trout fishing is everything they say...lots of fish and big ones, too!!

The Dry Run Creek experience was unbelievable. I've never seen so many fish, and so many big ones. The Norfork could be what Dry Run is if they would create the right reg's. Probably won't happen, though.

The only tough thing about Arkansas is the generation schedule. You never know when or how much they'll be generating. And, if you're not in a boat, you're done.

We'll be going back, for sure!!!
Old 10-09-2006, 10:04 AM

14, congrats on a successful trip. that area down there is awesome. i actually spent half of my honeymoon down there two years ago. we didn't have too much success on the fly rod as we were both pretty much beginners so we had to break out the spinning rods. the owners of the cabin we stayed at gave us a guide for a few hours as a gift and we tore them up pretty good. the biggest we (I)caught was a 2 1/4 lb cut bow. it looked just like a bow but with some cut throat markings. hopefully i'll get back down there soon and leave the spinning gear at home.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:19 AM

Hey 14,

Nice report. Glad you had a good time.
Those memories will dance in your head night after night for many years. Hope you get a chance to get back before 17. Bet those pancakes were awesome too !!!!

justfishing
<'))))><
Old 10-10-2006, 04:21 PM

MY GOODNESS. You have got to post some of those pics for us! Sounds like you had an awesome trip.

cheers
Old 11-01-2006, 01:35 PM

Any idea on how to post pic's on this thread? I've got plenty, but could show a few of the bigger fish if you all are so inclined.