Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-01-2006, 03:07 PM

Default Fly Fish Vocab

All this talk about leaders and tippit and fly line and manny more. Like you know I'm new to FF and don't know what in the world you guys are saying. Can you help me a little on the vocab. I don't know the parts of a rod or what you call everything. I need a vocab lesson Thanks

Giantfish
Old 11-01-2006, 03:56 PM

Default Re: Fly Fish Vocab

Here's a link for all you'd ever want to know about fly lines
http://globalflyfisher.com/fishbetter/flylines/

For the rest of it, you attach your leader (7.5' - 5x) to the end of yuor fly line, then you attach tippet (4x, 5x, 6x, 7x, etc.) to the end of the leader, then attach the fly to the end of the tippet. Leaders are usually tapered and you read the label as (7.5 ' long, tapered down to a 5x or 4x or whatever). 4x is the diameter of the tippet. 4x is bigger than 5x which is bigger than 6x and so on. Hope this helps some

Here's a link about knots for ya
http://www.flyfishusa.com/tackle-tip...ers/knots.html

Old 11-01-2006, 05:01 PM

U'll get there guy just hang in there! *What kind of vocab help u need? *Almost every portion of fly fishing has an infinate number of thing that confuse the starting fly fisherman. *Which I think has alot to do with first time fly fishers getting frustrated and picking back up there can of worms and spinning gear (not to insult those of you who do spin fish). *Unfortunately, there is some lingo or vocabulary that you need to know before you head to the water as well as how cast, where to fish, how to fish, and the hatches etc. *Hatches (or seasonal flies, flies that are hatching off the water) can be one of the most confusing and can change several times while on the water as well as depending on you location. *As far as rods, casting, purchasing of a rod and fly line you should seek the advice of the guys at LRO. *A reccomendation though, which I'm sure they'll tell you, make sure it feels good to you. *By feel I mean the way the fly line loads on the rod...If you've ever taken fly casting lessons and you watched the loop on your back cast, it's the feeling you get from the rod when the rod loads and you can feel where you line is without having to constantly watch your line and changing the way you cast. As far as fly line i'm sure LRO would reccomend a weight forward fly line, which you can see on the above posting, to match the fly rod of choice. *Oh and a reccomendation on rods get a four piece that way you can take it where ever you go! *As far as rod speed which i'm sure you've seen fast, medium, medium fast, slow. This refers to how fast the rod comes back to straight. So if you have a fast rod it comes back from the bend fast and only bends 1/4 to a 1/3 of the rod, medium fast comes back a little slower, medium a little slower, and slow bends (or loads the line) all the way down into the but of the rod (down into the grip)! *Rod sections are as follows from butt (where your reel is) to tip (the farthest point from you when casting) The reel seat (where your reel goes), the grip (the cork which has been formed and has several different shapes with names;wells, full wells, half wells and so on), your first guide on most trout stream rods is a stripping guide which will look different than all the rest, then you have regular fly line guides, ferrules are where your fly rod sections come together, and then you have your tip top guide.
As far as tippet and leaders are conserned there are several. *Leaders refer to a monofiliment or flourocarbon section of well, basically tippet usually larger than your tippet closest to the fly. Tapered leaders or sectioned leaders (mostly used) are exactly that they slowly taper. The largest section will be where it connects to your fly line and the smallest at your fly. *You can knot your fly directly on the end of your leader, there is usually 2 to 3 feet of the smallest section..However, I'd reccomend you get some 5,6,and 7x tippet that way you can tie on an extra 2 or 3 feet so you can hang on to your leaders for quite some time. *Tippet is a whole lot cheaper in the long run.There are many differant types, lengths, and diameters. *The packaging will say for example 9ft 6x it means that it's 9ft and 6x is it's smallest diameter. *Make sure you look at what you are buying because monofiliment should be used for dries and flourocarbon for nymphs and alot of the time the packaging looks about the same.

There is also alot of lingo and terminology in fly tying, it's easy to get caught up in. There are abbreviations for everything example; bhpt- bead head pheasent tail, bwo-blue wing olive, ehc- elk hair caddis, etc...there are so many of them I still get lost, so don't feel like your the only one out there at times and if you don't know go to Google.com and type in whatever it is you don't know about type it in and follow it up with fly fishing!

There is alot of little technical things that you can get lost in while purchasing your fly gear, don't get lost in that. Just make sure you like how it feels or performes, have fun, and catch fish!

Hope I didn't bore you with some stuff you already knew, and I hope you found some things you didn't!
Good luck and tight lines!
Fishermansfly
Old 11-01-2006, 09:33 PM

Who that just answered my next four questions Thaks alot That was like ten question awsered at once. You are very smart and a good writer Thanks again it did help!

Giantfish
Old 11-01-2006, 11:00 PM

Any thing I can ever do to help let me know! I love the sport and will do anything to encourage anyone to pick up a fly rod and give it a go!

Tight Lines!
Fishermansfly
Old 11-02-2006, 12:01 AM

Giantfish,

If you are as passionate about fly fishing as I think you are, then you owe it to yourself to pick-up a copy of this book. It's called:

"The Orvis Guide to Fly Fishing"

Also, you might want to check your local library for other resources related to fly fishing. This is just one book, but it's the one that was suggested to me early on, and I still refer to it occasionally; even years later. It will answer many questions for you and definately provide a "working knowledge" of this magnificent sport. You'll find it covers all the basics including knots, leaders, and tippets.

I'm almost certain LRO has a copy in stock.

Old 11-03-2006, 02:44 PM

Forget about the vocabulary. Hatch is a fancy term for baby bugs goin through puberty. Fish like bugs. Your job is to figure out which bugs the fish like today. Doesn't matter whether there is a hatch or not you gotta find out what the fish is eating. Tipper leader line backing......heck it is all just string. You put string on your poll. Put a fly on the string. And catch some fish.

Don't we all wish it was that simple. Vocab is best learned in the flyshop, and on here as long as there isn;t a smart elleck like me.