Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 10-11-2006, 07:34 AM

Default Re: Trout reading favorites

I agree with the previous post about the books from James Babb. I think James is one of the best sporting writers alive and I have read most of them. What I really like is that his books are short essays on varied topics but generally revolving around fishing or outdoor pursuits. If you haven't read "On the Spine of Time" by Harry Middleton, you are missing a real treasure. Mainly about his experiences in the Smoky Mountains. Please read!

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
- Henry David Thoreau
Old 10-11-2006, 08:47 PM

hey Chris, how are things in Upper. I fish the park 4-5 tmes a year but I am from the Lima area. Your local Super Wash is in my zone and I have been to Upper quite a bit lately. Have you been fly fishing in the area and where. We fish the reserviors in Lima to work on our cast, be we also go to the Mad and I ocassionally fish the Auglaize for smallies.....

buckeyetrouter
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 10-12-2006, 03:42 PM

justfishing,
I recently read The Longest Silence. *I also felt it was over my head a little. *It's definitely a good book, and I enjoyed much of it. *But I guess I'm more of a Gierach kind of guy. *I have read maybe five or six of his books: Trout Bum, Standing in a River Waving a Stick, At the Grave of the Unknown Fisherman, and another one or two that I can't remember the names of right now. *His Fly Fishing Small Streams and Good Flies are also good books. *I adopted several patterns from Good Flies, probably because I like Gierach's writing rather than the flies being more effective. *I'm ashamed to say that I only recently read A River Runs Through It. *I had seen the movie and liked it, but had put off reading the book. *It's a great book.

I had nearly purchased Fly Fishing Through the Midlife Crisis several times, but always placed it back on the shelf. *I'll give it a read now. *Thanks for the suggestions.

Although they aren't works of literature, Fly Fishing the Rocky Mountain Backcountry and No Hatch to Match by Rich Osthoff were enjoyable reads. *Osthoff writes in a no-nonsense manner that keeps me interested. *It's rare that someone writes a book on locations or techniques that makes for a good read.

Take care,
hawgdaddy
Old 10-12-2006, 04:49 PM

Though not my absolute favorite, I cannot believe that no one has mentioned Izaak Walton's The Compleat Angler. Although somewhat dated, it does give a glimpse of the original flyfisherman and the thoughts about trout in the English countryside.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to MTN_TRT

Hey guys,
Ive read "A Good Life Wasted" and "Crosscurrents" (both in record time!) Im reading "Trout Bum" right now, all of these books have been the best Ive ever read. I guess I kinda forgot about reading when I hit like 13. I just wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone who posted on this and to Justfishing for starting this. Yall have gotten me back to books, feels about as home-y as a trout stream! May a good hatch come to all you guys.

MTN_TRT
always remember LIFE IS GOOD!

www.cameracoffeeadventurego.blogspot.com
Old 11-03-2006, 08:36 PM

Amen to 'The Longest Silence'. Great read. I've read other books by T.G. and this, believe it or not is much easier to keep up with. He has another one just out, can't remember the name though......... and Red Green is too funy.