Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-05-2006, 12:14 AM

Default joe humphries

My grandson came by today--he said--watch this--I said ok--it was a dvd by joe humphries--it was about casting dry flies--on small streams--when casting is difficult because of trees--cover---overhanging limbs--overhanging snakes---bears etc.---i thought joe's dvd was great---well made---very instructional--fun to watch----he spoke of Penn State University and fly fishing connecting one to the other---along with Pennsylvania fly fishing----
1)Any one ever fished Pennsylvania??It's like the Smokies--rightthink of Penn.-?-Ithink of Pittsburg---Philly---industrialization---smoke stacks----the Steelers---the Phillies---not fly fishing----
2)Famous streams in Penn.?
3)I may be wrong---did Joe say something about fly fishing and Penn State ---Does Penn State offer classes,teaching fly fishing?
4)Joe is one of the good guys---he likes to teach fishing---he shares decades of fishing experience---he is a teacher and a fisherman---when he glances at the camera,on his dvd,his eyes cannot hide the compulsion,fun,and cerebral companionship that a good rod,a blue skyed day--and a stream flowing on a fast gradient,cut up by rocks---holding a fish or two--the water waiting.....
5)Bought a 8wt St Croix ultra--from LRO---aka(Jan)(Paula)(Byron)---casts like a dream---IS THIS NOT THE THE BEST AMERICAN MADE GRAPHITE ROD FOR THE MONEY--wonder what the 2-3 wts are like----
6)went to the Dr. because of a lump i felt under arm---Doc sent me for tests---was pretty sure it was the big C----life got pretty intense for 9 days---got test results back------NO big C---Was just a Node fighting off infection----things are all clear----can't wait to get back for a bit of fishing---something about---a new lease on life---a little fishing on elkmont++the new lease+++Holidays+++family---i am lucky and grateful------
Old 11-05-2006, 03:57 AM

Default Re: joe humphries

Even though I don't know you, Glad to hear your ok. Hope you have a fine holiday season !

LRO has definately made me feel at home even though I'm a newbie as well. Thanks to my friend to introducing me as well to the great addiction of fly fishing and you know who you are....

Greg
Old 11-05-2006, 07:57 AM

Lauxier,

Penn State has long been recognized as a leader in fly fishing education. Many people in the angling community refer to PSU as "Angling U". The course started in 1947 by George Harvey, ”The Dean of Fly Fishing,” and was taught by renowned Angler Joe Humphries. Joe retired in 1989 but the program is still going strong..

While at a Fly Fishing convention I had the the distinct pleasure of meeting Joe for only a second or two and missed out on a raffle for a 2 day guide with joe!(bummer)

Glad to hear that you are CA free!

DryFly1

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)
Old 11-05-2006, 11:50 AM

Lauxier,

I'm glad you are OK. I had the big C once.

I've been fly fishing in Pennsylvania for over 25 years. It is a beautiful state with vast areas of wilderness and lot's of spring creeks and limestone streams. Fly fishing is a deep rooted tradition in the state. A lot of the people I know from there started fly fishing as a kid. I think I read that there are more springs in Pennsylvania than any other state.

I started on some of the famous streams in Cumberland County, Yellow Breeches, Letort and Big Spring Creek. I've also fished Penns Creek, Spruce Creek, Little Junietta and others. I know where you live and I grew up in Richmond just down the road from you. You can take I64 to I81 in Virginia and drive north to Carlisle, PA. Stay in Boiling Springs at Allenberry Inn. You will be close to several excellent trout streams. There is also a good fly shop in Boiling Springs.

I met Joe Humphreys at Allenberry a long time ago. Since then he has been here at the shop for appearances several times. He was scheduled to be here in May but had emergency back surgury and we had to cancel. He is a good friend and he is an expert on fishing small streams. My favorite book, ever written about trout fishing is "Trout Tactics" which he wrote in the early 80's. He is a great guy who loves to share his information, not for ego satisfaction, but because he is a teacher and likes to help others learn this sport. He is the "Real Thing".

About St. Croix. The company is family owned and I know the brothers who run it now. They make excellent fly rods. My favorite Tarpon rod is a 12 weight Avid. I also have an Avid 8 wt. They both suit my casting style which is fairly slow. Market research funded by the American Fly Fishing Trade Association surveyed fly shops based on sales in 2004. As far as fly rod unit sales go in single store specialty shops like ours, St. Croix was mentioned as their best selling rod topped only by Sage #1 and Temple Fork #2. St Croix was listed as the second best selling rod and 3rd best selling rod by the largest number of shops. They are great rods and as far as I'm concerned they are a bargain.

Byron
Old 11-05-2006, 01:09 PM

A funny thing just happened. After I made the post above about Pennsylvania I checked the new Picture Board e-mail to add new photos on the board. I got a photo from Bob Clouser. Bob is another friend from PA. He has a fly shop near Harrisburg. Check Clousers Fly Shop on the internet. He invented the Clouser Minnow and the photo he submitted is in the Saltwater section of the Picture Board. It reminded me that there is also a huge smallmouth fishery in PA. Bob is an expert fly fisherman for trout, bass and saltwater, he's written one book and there is another one on the way. Like I said, fly fishing is a deep rooted tradition in Pennsylvania. Bob is also on the St. Croix Pro Staff.

Byron Begley
Old 11-05-2006, 03:06 PM

Lauxier,

Glad to hear that you are OK! Enjoy your "new lease on life" with your family and plently of fly fishing.

All those who believe in Telekinesis, please raise my hand.

50.67% of all statistics are made up.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:58 PM

Hey Lauxier........nice to hear your good news, sometimes we don't know why God gives us another day....but what is important is that we take advantage of the days we are given....enjoy every day and fish often.......

Good fishing & God Bless
buckeyetrouter [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 11-05-2006, 07:41 PM

dry fly 1 ---have always liked penn state----after reading your post---i like penn state better---humpries taught at penn state ---right?---he retired--now we have him as a go-to guy full of info etc.---the orvis people--show him with superfine rods--i like superfine's---had a 4wt 7ft---worked good--too bad joe paterno had to go and get old-----