Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 11-16-2006, 10:41 PM

Default BWOs

It is now the time of year to start thinking about tying up next seasons flies. I'm planning on tying several hundred flies this winter to be at least partially prepared for some trips next summer. So, I thought I would start on some must have patterns. I'm curious what flies everyone else likes for matching the various stages of the BWO? The patterns that I'll probably concern myself with most are comparaduns and sparkle duns and CDC emergers. If anyone else has any patterns that they really like, particular for nymphs and emergers, what are they? Seeing as I'm tying a lot of flies, flies that are quick to tie are nice...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 11-17-2006, 07:53 AM

Default Re: BWOs

I have had very good luck using a parachute pattern much like the one Hugh Hartsell ties using dark dun hackle for the tail and post. I use light gray poly for the wing post and light olive dubbing for the body. They work well for the BWO's that can be found on east Tn. streams in the 16-20 range.

AA
2Timothy2:15
Old 11-17-2006, 10:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to MTN_TRT

BWO is probably the predominate hatch on our streams in SW VA (next to caddis i suppose). It seems that natural PT and olive PT work nicely, ive also used Olive HE and seemed like that was just as good. However, I prefer the PT b/c of the slender body and small profile I think it immitates the BWO nice. Unweighted PT brushed w/ Froggs Fanny and swung does well before a hatch. For Dries, the parachute is deffinately easier to see, and it seems like split tails do a little better especially early or late in the season. I use BWO superfine and reg. dun hackle. Para. post i use White Poly Yarn, orange is ALOT easier to see though (especially in like 18 range). Good fishin!

MTN_TRT
LIFE IS GOOD

www.cameracoffeeadventurego.blogspot.com
Old 11-19-2006, 06:45 AM

Two flies to pick up that LRO carries, the cripple, and the umpqua emerger. *Both great patterns I've had good luck with. *The cripple, I think would be a little better tied by one self due to the fact the peacock hurl usually comes unwound after the first or second bite. *A great fly none the less. *The emerger pattern is also tied in a sulpher which is also a great pattern. *You will have to pick up the fly at LRO I keep looking to see if Umpqua will ever update their site to display their patterns, it appears the link is broken. *Neither pattern looks terribly difficult to tie, but getting the right material has proven to be almost impossible. Can't explain it, but it has to do with the hurl, you will see what I mean if you pick the fly up! I've enjoyed fishing this hatch, this year and look forward to more responses!
Fishermansfly
~Brett
Old 11-19-2006, 01:48 PM

The fly that is usually my go to fly for the olive hatch is a b.w.o. emerger. Tied on a caddis bend hook, it has a olive pheasant tail tail with medium olive hare-antron dubbing for the abdomen (dark olive for the thorax). A closed cell foam wing pad (either gray, yellow, or pink) and medium dun hackle complete the fly. Sometimes I rib it with crystal flash. I tie it in sizes 16 and 18. *
Old 11-19-2006, 02:08 PM

Dude, that sounds like a great fly, and it sounds quick to tie. Do you happen to have any pictures of the fly or a link to some online somewhere? Also, what thickness foam do you use for the wing pad?
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 11-19-2006, 02:15 PM

Plateau, I use 2mm. foam for the wingpad, clipped pretty short to the thorax. I'm getting ready to pack for a trip to the smokies this coming week, I'll try to make time to post a picture of the fly here.

dude
Old 11-19-2006, 06:23 PM

Brett,

I tried the Umpqua site and got the same result. They just moved from Oregon to Colorado and they are going through some personnel changes. I got a Tiemco hook order in Friday that had a lot of mistakes. I bet they're re-doing their site. I'll ask them tomorrow when I call about the hooks. We have a couple of 2007 Umpqua catalogs here at the shop. You can look at one of those the next time you are in. Also, I bet I can get what you need to tie that fly. I would also like to take a look at that pattern that falls apart after two fish. Maybe Umpqua needs to know about that and I certainly need to know.

Byron