Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 11-21-2006, 01:04 PM

Default Still running 2 Generators on the Clinch!!!

I'm new to the area and live only 10 miles from the Clinch. Lately, I am not able to fish unless I drive all over the state, because the TVA is running 2 generators on the Clinch 24 hours a day!

My question is: Is there any end in sight to these agressive generation schedules? If not, can I get some reccomendations for alternate locations?
Old 11-21-2006, 01:21 PM

Default Re: Still running 2 Generators on the Clinch!!!

No kidding! I don't know if it's because of the rain we've been getting or what. I've only been able to fish up there on Sundays in the past, and lately they have been running the gens all weekend.

You may want to check out the S. Holston. It's a bit of a drive...but from what I hear, It's the best tailwater in the area.

Old 11-21-2006, 03:46 PM

Kinda typical for the Clinch...nice of them to do it during the browns spawning season - yet again...I've been waiting to get back there since I took a break from it...second the SoHo, its worth the drive. Hopefully they'll let us play on the Clinch soon, winters always a good time to be out on the water - less crowds for sure. The Holston below Cherokee (Nances Ferry and below the dam in particular for wading, or else get a powered boat - long drift on oars I hear) may be an alternative, but then again, they are generating lots too, hopefully won't push out the small fins they put in...
Old 11-21-2006, 04:42 PM

You may get lucky on Thursday. Seems like they havent ran too much on the Holidays. However, that can create issues with the wife (if you're married). I speak from experience.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:06 PM

That would be great! I have some family coming in Thursday that would love to try their hand at catching some fish. I am supposed to be the "guide", so-to-speak. HA! We'll see how that turns out!
Old 11-23-2006, 08:43 PM

Hey Greene Weenie, and other frustrated fly-fishers... are you familiar with the "approximate travel times" for the water to drop, or start to rise again on the river? *If you know this information, it will help to decide where you can fish safely, and for how long.

For example, if 2 generators are running and then stops, it takes about 75 to 90 minutes for safe wading just below the weir dam. *(Depends on how old and decrepit you are ). *In turn, if the water is turned on, it only takes about 35 to 45 minutes for it to come up, and it does so quickly. *Don't take a chance. *Get near your take out point, then fish a little extra, or just get out of the river altogether.

Downstream near Clinton at the jail or the church, it takes about 9.5 hours for the water to drop enough (2 generators) to start wade fishing. *In turn, it takes about 4 hours to start coming up with two generators, and 5.5 hours with one generator. *This is also dependent on whether the water fully had time to drop to the lowest level. *It'll come up faster if it never went to the lowest level.

To get a better idea of this concept, you can download the Clinch River Chapter of Trout Unlimited website to find the chart with some additional info. *Just cut and paste the chart to Microsoft Word, then print it out for your future reference.

I missed out on fishing today (Thanksgiving), but checked the generation schedule for Friday. *If you look at it, generation stops at midnight, then starts again at 5 a.m. *If you're really desparate to fish, that means you can try near the jail or church (Clinton) and have about a 2 hour window of opportunity to fish... that would be from about 8:30 to 10:30 a.m. *

Please notice, I'm saying, "about, around, approximately," because there are other variables to consider. *Make sure you have a watch for time reference. *When you go back to fish a particular area again and again, select a few reference points you can memorize, such as rocks, stumps, or something with features that stand out so you can tell if the water is rising. *

Based on the TU chart, I try to be near my exit location within 10 to 15 minutes of the time the water is expected to rise. *Sometimes, you can stay onstream an extra 30 minutes. *You just gotta experiment. *Be cautious at first and get to know what happens on different parts of the river. *

Hopefully, there will be some opportunity to fish this weekend. *Often, Sunday is better than Saturday, but who knows?

In the past 3 years, the generation schedules that allow fishing have been much, much better than in the past.

Hope this info helps anyone new to fishing the Clinch river. *I'm still fairly new to fishing it myself, and would appreciate any info from the Clinch veterans.

Be safe, tight loops, and tie one on.