Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 11-21-2006, 05:09 PM

Default Re: Pictures from the South Holston River

This thursday I will be going up to the South Holston around the wier dam. It will be my first time there since I mostly fish the park. Any suggestions on what to use? I'm thinking I'll be using a streamer or maybe a midge. Any other possibilities and what about locations? Above the wier or below? Thanks...and cools pics.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:43 PM

Hi Chris, the fish was in very shallow water along the edge of the bank and there was no generation taking place at the time. I'm sure that there was some insect activity,(possibly BWOs or small midges hatching to some extent). That seems to take place all the time when the water is off. When the pulses are peaking or starting to drop, the Sulfurs will come off on some days. As I mentioned, we watched for several minutes and I did not see anything that looked like a fish that was feeding, unless he was trying to dislodge something. He,she kept returning to the same spot. We did not fish for it since I thought it was possibly on a Redd. It would have been a handful, had it been on the end of a line

GraFightin: I just got back from the South Holston and the river was very low today(as low as I've ever seen it). The fish were feeding on small dark grey midges and Blackflies. If the water is as low when you go up there, you'll need 7X tippet. Try a #18-20 BWO or a Griffiths Gnat as your top fly and a #24-26 Blackfly as your dropper. I wish you luck.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.

Old 11-21-2006, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Hi Chris, the fish was in very shallow water along the edge of the bank and there was no generation taking place at the time. I'm sure that there was some insect activity,(possibly BWOs or small midges hatching to some extent). That seems to take place all the time when the water is off. When the pulses are peaking or starting to drop, the Sulfurs will come off on some days. As I mentioned, we watched for several minutes and I did not see anything that looked like a fish that was feeding, unless he was trying to dislodge something. He,she kept returning to the same spot. We did not fish for it since I thought it was possibly on a Redd. It would have been a handful, had it been on the end of a line

GraFightin: I just got back from the South Holston and the river was very low today(as low as I've ever seen it). The fish were feeding on small dark grey midges and Blackflies. If the water is as low when you go up there, you'll need 7X tippet. Try a #18-20 BWO or a Griffiths Gnat as your top fly and a #24-26 Blackfly as your dropper. *I wish you luck.
* *Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.
Hugh, did you find many fish? I fished 2 weeks ago right before the front came through and 5 hours = 9 fish.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:41 PM

Good evening Paddle. We saw lots of fish feeding today. They were pretty spooky and I suppose it was because of the low clear water. Most of the flies at this time of the year are going to be pretty small so light tippet and very small midges are the order of the day. Good luck when you're back up there.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:56 AM

Hugh,
Who knows about the rainbows as there are spring and fall spawners, one more thought for the mix is that the lake holds rainbows and that may have been a lake run fish up to spawn. I know bass fisherman catch a big bow on Boone from time to time.
I have not fished up there in a 7 years, need to get back up there.
Happy Thanksgiving to all,
John

Old 11-24-2006, 09:03 PM

I went up there yesterday, 11/23. I got up there early to check it out since it was my first time. I will definitely be back! Hopefully next saturday even. I tried some fishing in a place where a log had blocked much of the flow. I got a hit, but the fish was so sluggish that he missed the fly. Could have been my fault, but it was totally exciting. I was hoping for a brown, but got a rainbow later in the day. There are so MANY up there! However, they are picky about presentation and imitation. Beautiful scenery makes it totally worth it. I caught one after the generators cut off. There were quite a few fishermen up there. I wish I could have stayed longer but had to get back. Here's to next saturday..!