Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-25-2006, 07:36 PM

Default Tremont Report

I had the pleasure of getting in a quick, 2 day trip to the Smokies this week - got back early this morning (I'm from Louisiana). I struck out on Thanksgiving in the Cataloochee area, so I decided to fish a different area on Friday. I ended up on the Middle Prong and, after a slow start, managed to catch a few rainbows. Two of them were tiny, but the last one was a solid 8"...it made my trip. All were caught on bead head nymphs - it didn't seem to matter on the color. I saw no fish rise during the two days, although I did see a few flies hatching.

The best thing was the discovery that it "only" took 9.5 hours to get home. I enjoy driving, so that length of time really isn't bad. I'm already looking at the calendar for a chance to get away for another quick trip...of course, the weather is starting to become a bit marginal now.

I really enjoy the site, and reading the reports...it helped to make this little trip a success.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:25 AM

Default Re: Tremont Report

ditto the driving part......I just returned from Nevada (Pahrump). My company asked if I would trouble shoot in Pahrump so I took off. I made it out in 2 days ( left at 8am wedn. morning and on job site at 8am fri morn), that was alot of seat time but I needed my tools so I didn't fly. I also figured I might get some fishing time on the way back thru Arizona, Utah, and Colorado......didn't work out that way, but I did get some great pics........

anyways, congrats on your Smokies trip and hope your next one is evem more successful.....
Buckeyetrouter
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 11-26-2006, 07:03 PM

ijsouth,

Sounds like you had a good time. I fished from the gate up with no luck at all. I hadn't been skunked in a while, but Friday was my day. No fish, but sure was good to get out in to God's great creation for a day.

John
Old 11-26-2006, 11:35 PM

Quote:
ijsouth,

Sounds like you had a good time. I fished from the gate up with no luck at all. I hadn't been skunked in a while, but Friday was my day. No fish, but sure was good to get out in to God's great creation for a day.

John

Yep, I feel very fortunate that I caught anything at all, after reading the other reports, and coupled with the fact that I'm pretty new to the trout fishing scene. Most of my fishing here at home is inshore saltwater, where two feet of visibility in the water is considered "clear". It's great fishing - perhaps the best in the world, in terms of sheer numbers of fish, but there's something about fishing in these small, freestone streams that I can't put into words, but I just love it. It's like comparing chocolate cake to pecan pie...both wonderful desserts, but totally different.

I would love to sneak in a trip around Christmas, but I doubt we'll be so lucky as to have good weather that deep into December. I'll be in serious withdrawal by Spring.