Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 12-03-2006, 09:14 AM

Default HELP-want info about method

i would like to fish a 2 fly rig--but i find them to be a hassle ---they always get tangled---are hard to cast--i suppose i should get over my laziness relative to rigging flies this way because it seems like a pretty lethal way of fishing--one day on Elkmont I saw a kid catching lots of fish useing a nymph with a dry fly on top---Would someone explain the ABC's of this method of fishing---by the way,at elkmont-that day,I think I caught 2 or 3 fish,fishing as I alwayd do with -,line,leader,tippit,fly----
Old 12-03-2006, 10:10 AM

Default Re: HELP-want info about method

Good morning lauxier. Fishing a two fly set up can be frustrating at best, when you are first beginning. There are several things that you can do to improve your technique. Usually, the culprit is bad casting methods that you have picked up, early on in your flyfishing career. When you're speaking of the two flies method, what is usually happening is that you are allowing your backcast to drop and form a loop, which can cause the tangles. You are not letting the line load completely behind you or in front of you to take this loop out of the line---hence a tangle. The best way to start off, if you are fishing two nymphs, is to allow drag from the current to pull all the slack out of your line and then make sort of a rounded forward cast. After you have gotten used to doing this, then you can make a false cast and feed out a little line for slightly longer casts. Keeping the line sort of tight is the key.
*If you are casting a dry and a dropper, start off with shorter cast and try to hold the rod at about a 60-70% angle and not exactly straight up and down. This will help keep the line from tangling around your rod as you are false casting. When you first start doing the two fly method, it is a good idea to look at your backcast as it goes behind you as well as your forward cast to be sure that it is loading completely and that you are on cue as to when to start forward with the front and final part of the cast. After doing this for awhile, everything should become as a "feel", and the looking back should be replaced by just looking forward toward your casting mark. Almost all casting techniques should eventually become something that is a "feel" rather than something that you think consciously about. Start out slow and work progressively toward a newer phase. Master the the short cast first, then work in a false cast with some extension added to the line. Be sure you are on target with your cast and be sure that you are loading the line properly on each false cast. Find the method of casting that has a good feel to you and get someone to stand back away from you to critique your developement. Have them check you for any bad habits that are causing problems. As you go from one step to the next, you will notice that things have changed from a concious effort to something that is a "feel", that just transmits down the rod into your hands and arms. When you are doing it right, you will "feel it". * Good luck!
* *Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:32 PM

Slow down the cast, open up your loops....
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 12-03-2006, 03:04 PM

That good advice, PA. Especially if the flies are weighted. I find that a longer, slower-action, rod, also helps with multiple flies.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:14 PM

That might explain why I like a little slower rod. I rarely fish anything other than a dry / dropper set-up. I just started FF this year, but I do pretty well despite my lack of a gentle presentation . I also do other things to help cover my weaknesses too. I prefer plunge pools, edges of runs or in the middle of medium/slow runs. I find plenty of fish in these spots despite my semi-harsh delivery. The slower rod also helps deliver the multi fly set-up. I'm sure as I get better I'll learn to gently place a dry on top of a calm stretch of water. I just haven't found the motivation to fix something that works very well so far. I would say the two things I need to work on for next year are stealth and a softer presentation.

Back to the main question. If you are a fairly coordinated person, just keep trying. Eventually your hand eye coordination will make the adjustments. Just don't give up after a few tangles.

Good luck!
Kevin
Old 12-04-2006, 10:36 AM

Good advice so far, PA nailed. I refused to try the 2 fly rig when I first started because I was getting enought tangles with just one fly. My buddy finally convinced me to do it and I have every since. Now I need to learn to fish 2 nymphs without an indicator. Good luck.

All those who believe in Telekinesis, please raise my hand.

50.67% of all statistics are made up.