Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 12-07-2006, 11:46 AM

Default Elk River 12/6

Fished the Elk at the Dam from 11 to 4 yesterday. Early on, I got two bumps from 1 fish just above the bridge on a rubber legged copper john behind a green wooly bugger.

Went down to the turn hole and the fish were going crazy feeding on midges. After tossing the usual nymphs for a while, I spent at least an hour casting midges to these fish. I stuck my face right next to the water and saw some incredibly small white midges, probably a size 30. The smallest I had was a 24, with no takers. Its incredibly frustrating to have a hundred fish actively feeding all around you with no action. Surely, the fish the fish didn't bite because of the fly and not because of my poor technique!

Finally, switched to a san juan worm. Got one hook up in the run below the turn hole, but he shook loose. Worked my way back upstream towards the dam, fishing the quicker water. Caught 1, long-distance released another and had 2 bumps.

Still a beautiful day on the water.

Robert
Old 12-07-2006, 12:12 PM

Default Re: Elk River 12/6

the elk can be extremely hit or miss. on my last trip, i tried everything in the box without success. finally tied on a #12 beaded prince nymph and had 10 fish to hand in less than 2 hours. ya never know....
Old 12-10-2006, 03:01 AM

I suggest next time trying a red san juan worm, then 10-12" add a bead nymph and see if that improves your luck!

Also, if you go down the road to the Red Barn, stick $5-10 in the Crisco Can, you can park and walk down and find some great fishing back up stream.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:43 AM

kris - thanks for the tip. I will remember that next time I am up there. Which should be in about 2 weeks.

I cant wait for the Christmas holidays.........and days for fishing.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:29 PM

Quote:
kris - thanks for the tip. I will remember that next time I am up there. Which should be in about 2 weeks.

I cant wait for the Christmas holidays.........and days for fishing.

just got back from a great day there... I have a gheenoe which lets us get around the curve and fish in a little deeper water... once you get around the curve the fishing was great today. Olive green Wooley Booger's did the trick all day long!
Old 12-10-2006, 11:23 PM

hey bamafly,i`m off alot around christmas,let me know if you go back to the elk.i live in n`alabama and have been there before.the wife`s grandmother has a house on woods res.estill springs.i would love to head back that way,all i need is a reason.
dalefish
dale morrison
vinemont al.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:14 AM

We should all meet up and go eat a cheese burger! lol

I am planning on going Thursday and Sunday of this week...