Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 12-11-2006, 09:28 AM

Default 3 Weight Question

I just bought a 3wt St. Croix Avid rod. I took it out for a test run on the Clinch yesterday. I really enjoyed it. It was a real struggle landing most of the fish I caught!

However, a lot of fish were able to shake loose. I've had them shake loose before, but not with the frequency that it occured with yesterday. Is this just one of the pitfalls of a 3wt, or am I doing something wrong?
Old 12-11-2006, 10:56 AM

Default Re: 3 Weight Question

I wouldn't think so. you should be able to put more pressure on them with the 3 weight. I wish I would have used my 3 wt yesterday on the clinch instead of the 6 wt. most of the fishing I did was close in. were you using barbless hooks? I had a few fish that I stuck and fought for all of about 1 second before losing them. who knows.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:21 PM

There are so many variables involved with setting the hook - the current, even the state of your nerves can make a difference; some days you're sharper than others.

I'm pretty new to the fly-fishing scene, so I don't have any basis of comparison...but, I missed a bunch of fish with dries on a trip this summer, using a 5wt. Over Thanksgiving, I fished nymphs with my 3wt, and while I had a grand total of 3 strikes, I caught all 3.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:59 PM

I think its just one of those things as the others have said. I'll have some days where I seem to lose at least 50% of the fish I hook and other days where I land probably 95% of the fish I hook. Of course, with a three weight you'll probably play the fish a bit longer so they have more chances at getting off. Don't be afraid to really pressure them. That particular three weight should be soft enough to protect your tippet just fine.
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 12-12-2006, 01:14 AM

a friend of mine who guides told me that you should fight the fish with your rod to the side, switching sides to keep pressure on the fish. in other words, pull the fish to the left, then right, back and forth and so on in a zig zag pattern until you get the fish in. does this work better? I think so.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:28 AM

Thanks for all the advice, guys.

ttas67, that makes sense. Most of the fish I lost broke the surface of the water. I guess keeping the rod lower would reduce the slack in the line on a jump. I think Plateau Angler had a good point, too. Up until now, I was using a 5wt and really had to be careful with my 7x tippet.

Thanks again.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:51 AM

i had an occaision when i was getting strike after strike, but couldn't set the hook to save my life, (fishing 2 wt). i was using a new fly, supposedly a #12bhpt. i noticed that the shank was longer, and the bead was larger, than any other #12's i had bought, (good argument for tying your own). after making sure the hook was sharp, and losing a few more, i switched flies and started hooking up again. i concluded that the larger bead and longer shank did not allow for enough clearance for the point of the hook to set, (major advantage of curved hooks).

the other thing i have found fishing the 2 wt, is that you will have a longer fight with the bigger fish, (my favorite part). i used to debarb my hooks so smooth that they wouldn't even hang up in your shirt. i noticed i was losing the bigger fish even when getting a good hook set, but after a long battle. i figured the hook was working lose after the fish fought for awhile. so, i still debarb, but not as smooth, leaving just a little nub there.

i also have a 6wt, but would much rather fish the 2 wt. in the streams. the only thing the 6 wt does better is cast streamers bigger than size 10. with the 2, i always use 6X tippet for streamers and nymphs, and 7X for drys, and have never had a break off.

i think you make a good choice to go light for the trout streams, enjoy!