Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 12-05-2006, 05:22 PM

Default Byron -on trout cows

1)I think I know the farm and the cows you are talking about--the farm lays in the last curve on left before reaching Townsend coming from Wear Valley.---the poor cows don't dare lay down because the land they call home is so valuable,laying down could mess up the grass which would give the owner an excuse to sell them--
2)I own a farm in Estill co. and Madison Co.---the Madison farm is on Silver Creek(A good smallmouth stream)My Dad bought this place years ago when land was cheap and Silver Creek was a party place for those of us at Eastern.Today it is a nice farm-ey area that is in demand by city-folks who want a farm close to the WalMarts and McDonalds.Will watch the cows relative to the smallmouth--and let you know what develops
3)The Estill Co. farm has Red Lick Creek running through it---The Estill Co. cows are different than the Silver Creek cows---These cattle do indeed stand relative to creek activity---when 5 trees or more become full and cluttered with diapers,milk jugs,trash bags and any other unidentified objects of the human experience,the Red Lick cows stand...shake their heads...and take up grazing -----feeling sorry for the creek---and sorry-er for us humans,because we shlould know better----
Old 12-06-2006, 01:55 AM

Default Re: Byron -on trout cows

I had a grad *chemistry class at EKU one summer, the Prof. met with us for an hour or so then sent us off to work on computers. If you went back to his office he was gone. Found out he slipped out to Silver Creek. Never could get him to take me. I live on Lake Carnico in Nicholas County now, lived in Harrison County for 25 years, fished smallies around Cynthania.

I thought the EKU folks partyed in the Red River Gorge
Old 12-06-2006, 10:25 AM

EKU people(when I was there)would party at a leper colony if given the opportunity--
Old 12-08-2006, 05:43 PM

Ky Troutbum, I have given some thought to making the pilgramage to Cynthiana to fish the Licking River for smallies. Is it worth considering?
I graduated from Oldham County High and UK, we did fish Stoner Creek once in a while in Paris. Learned about Cythiana too late.
Anyway your feedback would be most appreciated.
Best,
Old 12-12-2006, 09:50 PM

Leaving town for a few days to visit inlaws "and outlaws" Will get back to you. Where do you live?
Old 12-13-2006, 12:13 PM

Lauxier,

The farm I'm talking about is directly across the road from our shop. Next time you are here go upstairs and step out on the fire escape. It is beautiful and is best seen from up high. My best friend is Frank Brown in Richmond. We've been buddies for 50 years. He has a farm just past yours on Paint Lick Creek in down the hill from Poosey Ridge. We turkey hunt there and stay in his cabin every Spring. I grew up on Boonesborough Road just a couple of miles off I-75. They call the house the Robin's Nest now. I also went to EKU and I know the Party Place on Silver Creek you are speaking of. Went to grade school and high school at Richmond Model. Graduated from there in 1969.

Kytroutbum,

I think Red River Gorge was the party place for UK and Transylvania students. Jswitow is a friend of mine who lives in the Knoxville area. Great guy!

Byron
Old 12-13-2006, 11:28 PM

Thanks Byron! I mostly partied (and too much!) at the bars around campus; Lynagh's, Cheapside, Charlie Browns..... too many brain cells ago. Never once made it to the Red River Gorge while at UK.
Time flys!