Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 12-13-2006, 10:20 PM

Default thunderhead fly

anyone know the origin of the thunderhead fly and who first tied it...
Old 12-14-2006, 10:23 AM

Default Re: thunderhead fly

lauxier, not really sure. I know that I first saw and heard it fished around the areas of Sugar Fork, Walker Creek and Proctor Creek. If you ever use any of the USGS maps for stream locations, you will find these are in what is called the Thunderhead Quadrant. I don't know if that had any origin in the name or not. My guess is someone here would have a pretty good idea of its origin and the developer.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:59 PM

Default Re: thunderhead fly

In the book Southeastern Flies by L.J. DeCuir, credit for the "Thunderhead" is given to a fellow named Joe Hall. He said that even though it is often compared with or to the Adams, it is said that Mr. Hall had never met Leonard Halladay (originator of the Adams) nor had he ever seen an Adams before having tied or created the Thunderhead.

By the way, this is a great book and has many classic patterns of the region such as the Yallarhamer, the Smoky Mountain Blackbird, etc along with their origins if known.

Mike
"Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton