Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 12-14-2006, 09:18 PM

Default breaking a rod

last time i fished the tellico river in september i broke the tip off my wonderful winston lt-5 5wt---sent it back--winston promptly repaired the rod--maybe it is me--maybe it is all in my mind-but it does not seem to have the same action of the rod i had before--called winston--the lady said to use the rod and it would loosen up at bit---i think we can get very attached to a good rod
Old 12-14-2006, 11:53 PM

Default Re: breaking a rod

it could just be in your mind, but do you think a graphite rod "breaks in"??
Old 12-15-2006, 09:27 AM

Quote:
it could just be in your mind, but do you think a graphite rod "breaks in"??
i do, i can't come up with a material that dosen't.

Grumpy
Old 12-15-2006, 02:14 PM

I dont think so, temps may have alittle to do with it. Maybe a engineer who works with graphite can comment.
I bet they figure you will get used to the rod as it is. And the rose colored glasses thing may be having some influence on your perception.

Beautiful rods anyway.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:50 AM

jswitow could be right. if you were fishing it in cold weather, it could feel slightly stiffer than it would have this summer. or it could just be that every rod is a little unique. if you haven't noticed yet, winston has totally revamped their site. it now contains many great videos showing some of the processes they go through to build the rods. they do show that every blank has its own natural curve and they find that to determine which side to put the guides on. you should check it out. also, when you say they "repaired" it, did they actually repair the break or just replace the tip? you know, I sent a rod back to scott last year because it had a "cricket" (clicking sound) in the butt section of the rod. I don't know what they did, but $20 later and it came back fixed. the only thing is the cork was really badly soiled. I know I didn't send it off that way! I've wondered if they just gave me another rod, a new butt section, or just rubbed grease all over the cork for no apparent reason. I guess I could just check the serial numbers. that was last year. 2 days ago I was rooting around in my office desk drawer and I found a paper from scott. at the top it said invoice and under items it listed 1. CRICKET IN BUTT ............ $20. I laughed all day about that.