Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 12-28-2006, 10:30 AM

Default trout and cold water question...

I read this site's fishing report and there is always a disclaimer that when the water temps are chilly, the trout are less likely to bite. Well, I went fishing with some friends at Paint Creek in the Eastern part of Cocke county last week and I am sure that the water temp was in the high 30's or low 40's, the ice on the bank was a clue. it is not a very deep creek, but has some deeper pools, especially near the bridges. My question is: how accurate is that claim? because I caught a small rainbow and the two other guys I was with caught 5 each.

Old 12-28-2006, 10:45 AM

Default Re: trout and cold water question...

If three guys only caught 11 fish between them in one day then I think that proves that point. They said it slowed not stopped.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:47 AM

BHPrince, air temperature and water temperature do not always reflect the same values. The air temperature could have been as cold as you might have thought it was "ie.30s" and the water temperature could have been several degrees warmer if it had just rained and the rain had come up from the South causing it to be several degrees warmer. Paint Creek is home waters for me and it is usually considered slightly warmer than creeks in the Park, therefore we usually fish it much later in the winter along with a couple of nearby Spring Creeks.. Also, the upper part of Paint Creek is open to Farmland and housing. This allows the sun to hit it and warm it a degree or two before it wanders into the Wildlife Management Area. Once you get inside there, the stream is surrounded by steep cliffs and high terrain. This keeps the sunlight from getting to the stream and may cause the air temperatures to really be a few degrees cooler. Once the air and water temperatures have had time to come together, which can happen in two or three days, you will see the effect of cold water temps causing a slow down in strikes.
Glad that you guys caught some fish.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:30 AM

I take fishing reports, wind directions, moon phases, weather reports with a grain of salt, if i have the time to go fishing, i go 8-)

Grumpy
Old 12-29-2006, 10:18 AM

Grumpy, your classic!!! One of these days I'll catch ya in the shop! Straight shooter no bull and to the point! I totally agree with your post...dead on! Fish when you can fish and spend the rest of your time day dreaming about being on the water.

Fishermansfly
Old 12-29-2006, 10:26 AM

Quote:
I take fishing reports, wind directions, moon phases, weather reports with a grain of salt, if i have the time to go fishing, i go 8-)

Grumpy

That's exactly right...it doesn't matter where you are, or what type of fishing you're doing; if you wait around for "perfect" conditions, you'll never go fishing at all. Sure, you would like ideal conditions, and some times you're lucky enough to get them. However, if you fish in all types of weather, you'll end up becoming a much better fisherman.

Me and my girls are heading up that way later today. Tomorrow, we hope to get that "perfect" day, at least for Winter, anyway.