Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 12-28-2006, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Guided Float Trip

Quote:
*Scott would be my number one pick for something very much out of the ordinary. *
Well said Rusty
Old 12-29-2006, 08:30 AM

Were getting warmer! *My father has hit on a few key points. *It's a broad question I know. *A fly fisherman can agree with me on three levels: 1st It's great to catch a large NUMBER of fish, 2nd It's great to catch a LARGE fish, and 3rd and what I feel better than either is, It's great to be the only one on the water with the knowledge and experience to be landing fish when no one else is. *Don't get me wrong fella's I love to see everyone on the water catching there fair share of fish just as much! *It's good for the sport! *I love to see some of the old guys and some of the younger guys get out on the water and never miss a beat dragging in fish after fish making it look completly effortless. *Always puts a smile on my face, maybe not at that particular moment when i've been lobbing and whirling flies above my head all day without the first fish. *I guess what I'm really trying to say is, it isn't particularly about a large fish, that day will come, but a technical river system that offers up constant change in stratagey, technique, fly selection etc. *After thouroughly thinking the questions through in my previous posts I'm come to reasoning behind my questioning. *One river system, the Clinch. *My father and I have mad several trips to this tailwater with minimal to moderate success. *When ever you ask a fly shop about technique and or fly selection the first reply you hear is "Well it depends on where your fishing." *So that being said my father and I have really only tackled the wier section to the face of the ****. *Maybe that will clue some of you all into what i'm trying to say. *

So what I'm really truly asking for is a tributary that offers up a strong challenge with many variables like changing water and properly reading the good hides, a change in fly selection from section to section. *A true anglers nightmare tributary, yea.....that's what I want.

Basically I'm looking too take a lot or even a little expierence gained from a more technical tributary that will allow us apply those moments of experience to shine through in another tributary. *Another notch in the ol belt as they might say!

An early happy new year to every one! Cheers and thanks to all of you for your many well thought and well phrased reply's! *I always look forward to logging on and checking what you guys have to say! *Special thanks to Hugh, Fowler, KYTroutman, KC, and Troutman for your input! *Look forward to some more replies hopefully, maybe, this will help! :-/ :-/ :-/
Old 12-29-2006, 11:36 AM

Randy would also be great choice,fine fellow and very knowledgeable.

http://www.trout-fishers.net/index.shtml
Old 12-29-2006, 03:56 PM

Fishermansfly,

The Clinch isn't the same river it was 3-4 years ago. I have several theories but no concrete scientific facts. The downturn started in the summer/fall of '04 with the systems that came through from the 4 hurricanes. TVA ran water at an almost constant 2 generators for 6 months solid. TWRA started a capacity study around the same time as well. They were (may still be) doing growth rate studies on fingerlings as well. The Clinch is a put and grow fishery. Couple that with the capacity study and that's why there are so many of little guys. It's almost all little guys up around the Millers Island area. Those little fish mainly feed on emergers. The trouble with that is they key in on movement. Most tiny (down to #30) midge emerger patterns have poor movement because you can't put on much material. Try to match the hatch as closely as you can and put movement on your flies by making small strips. Most takes will come just below the surface. Use a long leader and fish slow.

I was fishing with Rockyraccoon around 4 years ago and caught a 17", an 18", and 19" on three progressive casts right beside Millers Island. Now, unless you put movement on your flies it's hard to even catch those little midgets. Try some tiny streamers as well.

The lower river is more like it used to be but it's still off. I floated it with a friend last week and we caught several nice fish up to 15-16 inches. It used to be more like 18-22".

The didymo started making a showing back in '04 as well so who knows whats going to happen in the future. In the meantime, it's more important now than ever to have an almost identical match to what's coming off. Fishing pressure has increased as well. From flyfisherman to meat fisherman. I've seen it pounded by bait guys bringing stringer after stringer of very nice fish, day after day. A slot limit would be very beneficial on this river unless there's a problem with growth that we don't know about. Although, the bugs seem to be there. I can't really make any real accurate opinions, though. Because I have spent very little time up there in the past year and a half. A smart move would be to take a seine and do bug samples.

If you want to learn the technical stuff then contact Scott Lewis. He will teach you stuff that will make you a better technical angler.