Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-03-2007, 01:37 AM

Default Tremont Report - New Year's

Hello all...this report is a bit dated, as it covered this past weekend. Just got back home to Louisiana from the Smokies. The girls and I made it up to the Middle Prong about midday Saturday, and were able to fish for a few hours, with not even the semblance of a strike. The water temp was about 44, and we dragged nymphs through the pools. Sunday (New Year's Eve) was a washout, so I took them to the mall in Maryville, then made the twisting drive on 129 over to Robbinsville, NC, as I wanted to scout out Snowbird for a possible future trip.

New Year's Day dawned bright and clear, and we headed up to Tremont again. The water was considerably higher from the rains, but it was still clear. We fished a bit at the trailhead, then headed up Lynn Camp a bit, hitting the better looking spots. My oldest daughter had a few hits on a green weenie, while I continued to get skunked. The skies clouded over, the result of the "backwash" from the front that had passed through the day before, and the air definitely took on an added chill. We started back for the car, but before we totally packed it in, I tried one more run near the parking area. By this time, I was tired of chunking out a nymph/split shot combination, and I wanted to try a dry, if for no other reason than to feel like I was really fly fishing, and not slinging stink bait at catfish. I tied on a #18 Mr Rapidan Parachute pattern, not really expecting any action, as I had not seen a single fish rise all day. I saw a likely-looking backwater area, with a nice rock/ledge where I thought I might have seen a fish moving. I was able to put out a decent cast, and as the fly passed the rock, it disappeared as a trout slurped it up. I had the fish on long enough to see it was a small, but brilliantly colored rainbow, before the line went slack. I guess I could lie to myself and consider it a long-distance release, but I sure wish I could have brought that fish to hand.

Even though we didn't get any fish, the girls and I had a great time. I had bought them each fly rod/reel combos for Christmas, and they took to them well, especially my oldest daughter. I'm looking to steal away for a weekend in March - I'd really like them to get a few wild trout, particularly on a dry (although I really don't mind fishing nymphs...just not with the added weight). We also enjoyed swinging by the shop a few times, and meeting some nice people. The girls wanted to adopt Dubbings, as they missed their cat back home

Happy New Year, y'all.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:42 AM

Default Re: Tremont Report - New Year's

well, at least you almost caught one!
Old 01-03-2007, 09:44 PM

The more I think about it, the more I'm kicking myself...I saw what the actual water temp was that day, and it got over 50. My thermometer only showed around 44, but to be honest, the water didn't feel as cold as it did when I was fishing the same stream over Thanksgiving. That should have been my cue to try dries, or at least try a fly/nymph combo, even though I didn't see any rises at all. I did see a few very tiny, (no more than a #26) creme-colored flies, which I guess were midges (if someone knows the specific fly, please let me know). Anyway, I went to the dry a bit too late, when I was running out of time.

Speaking of time, I did enjoy my time on the water, even though the results weren't too good. I am VERY new to mountain trout fishing, so every trip is a learning experience. The problem is, I am limited in the number of trips I can take up to the Smokies, and my time once up there is limited, so I feel like I am fighting the clock a bit, which means I probably rush things too much, instead of taking the time to really analyze the stretch of water I am fishing and presenting the fly in the best manner possible.

BTW - On the way back home yesterday, I saw very few cows standing up...in fact, I don't think we saw any standing in any numbers until we were in Alabama, heading south.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:16 AM

I enjoyed your Tremont report. Some of the best memories I have are fishing with my Dad. Your girls are lucky to have you to take them fishing.
I fished Tremont yesterday. No hits on dry but I will try again with one today as the water, hopefully, will be a little warmer.[/size]
Old 01-06-2007, 12:03 PM

The water was a little warmer this morning at 8:45 am, 49 degrees. But there is a lot of flow. Be careful. I'd fish the West. It looked great from the turn to Tremont.

Byron
Old 01-06-2007, 12:39 PM

hey fisherlady........have you been ff long? My daughter just moved to the Newport area and I have been getting her into ff when I visit. I hand built her a 7'6" 3wt fly rod for Christmas and bought her one of the Ross flystart reels to get her going.....she is chomping at the bit to use it. I have a fly tying class at LRO this month, so we are going to take her reel into LRO to get set up with line and hopefully I can get her in the water that weekend........maybe we'll run into ya on the water.....I know she will be fishing more now that she has her own setup....(and maybe good ole Dad will get his back )

I'm trying to get her to use this board so she can learn and find a few friendly folks to fish with when my fiance and I are not in the park......I guess the first thing to do is get her set up and on the water, then the comfort will come to fish with others (she's afraid of hooking someone...LOL..like none of us have ever done that ). if you have any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated......

buckeyetrouter

Jeremiah 29:13
Old 01-06-2007, 01:53 PM

Man, that water temp looks good today...and I know what you mean about the West Prong - I took the girls to Cade's Cove after our fishing, and I noticed that it is a much smaller stream, in terms of volume. Definitely something to remember.

I'm about 90% sure we'll be up in February, around Mardi Gras; I've left it up to the girls as to whether they want to go parading, or mountain hopping. I'm sure we'll come up with a compromise..

Hope everyone has a great day on the water today - look forward to reading the reports as they come in.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Hey buckeyetrouter!!

Hand-built, 7'6", 3 wt with a Ross Flystart?? I have a question for you.

Will you adopt me??

Gerry Romer
"I've since learned to use the best knot rather than the one that uses the least line. I go through more tippet material but compensate by drinking cheaper whiskey. One must have priorities." ... Art Scheck
Old 01-07-2007, 12:14 AM

Buckeyetrouter,

This may repeat, I'm not sure what the computer did with my first reply. I fished for bass for years, just started trout 3 years ago. I figured it wouldn't be too hard, I already knew how to flyfish and bass/trout, probably about the same. The joke was on me.

I learned a lot from a great guide, reading some books, trying stuff out that I read, but mostly just being on the water and making stupid/smart decisions and seeing the results. Your daughter will get over worrying about hooking someone, if she ever wants a fishing companion for the day I would like the company. My husband does not fish (it is his only fault), he usually goes hiking while I fish. We get to the GSMts almost every month if the weather is ok to fish.

Sounds like you started your girl out with a really nice outfit.

Fisherlady

Old 01-07-2007, 12:20 AM

Byron,

You were right about the flow in Middle, much more than Thurs. The water temp got to 50 on my thermometer and I had 3 strikes on a fly, hooked one. It was hard to fish tho, I wish I had seen your post before I left this AM. Funny thing, I didn't get a single hit on nymphs after catching trout on them for 3 days :-?

Fisherlady