Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-06-2007, 10:38 PM

Default Abrams report

Greetings all,

Hope y'all managed to get out and enjoy this crazy weather.

Had an impromptu go fish pass today and headed over to abrams creek...the water was at a perfect level and was a hint off color. The water temp was a "balmy" 53 as there was some little black caddis, bwo, and winter stones taking flight...plenty of bows came to a small pt. The spring creek section cooperated today as well and caught several nice fish in the various runs...

The weather was absolutely perfect and the cove traffic was not too bad...it was a great day to be out and about...
Old 01-06-2007, 11:20 PM

Default Re: Abrams report

I hit the Abrams from the West (Ranger Station) today and hoofed it to the Little Bottoms for the first time. You guys are correct about slick rocks and those nasty jagged ledge rocks sticking out of the streambed. Nobody said nothing about hiking switch back trails to get there though. Was a bit warm by the time I got there. Here too the water was great with just a bit of color though clear and warm 52-55 (deeper pools were cooler). Had many little bows hitting numerous dries all afternoon and had a very nice midge hatch about 5 PM. It lasted for a solid half hour, but still only the little guys were interested in eating my fly. Needless to say, I got to experience my first night walk back to the truck getting to use my reliable Petzl headlamp (bought it in Iraq 3 yrs ago and the thing has never let me down). Overall, not a bad day considering it's Jan. How cranky do the rangers get about stealth camping (no fires, tents, or tarps) along the creeks that do not have campsites? I use a hammock tent which makes finding a camp site as difficult as finding two trees 10-15 feet apart. Its also nice to keep this aging body off the ground for a change. I would like to hit the Abrams from the lake up to the ranger station, but as you all know better than me, no campsites. I would assume (that's gotten me in trouble before) that they do not have rangers bushwacking along the creek since there are no trails along this lower section of Abrams. Any unwritten rules about turning a blind eye to the boys (and girls) slinging flies and camping?
Old 01-06-2007, 11:27 PM

Glad you had a good day on the water! I need to get back to Abrams more. For a couple summers, I fished it almost every trip up there but only 2 or 3 times this last year. That place brings back some nice memories...thanks for the report!
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 01-07-2007, 12:49 AM

well, what constitutes camping? you can lay on the bank and take a nap can't you? i don't see any reason you couldn't take an 8 hour nap at night. that being said, I don't recommend intentionally breaking park rules.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:52 PM

I took my son (gaintfish on his first backpacking trip to little bottom in september in 04. I looked at a topo map and it seemed like a easy fist hike. We have hiked several miles in th gsmnp but never have over nighted. well he decicded it would be fun to bike Cads cove then hike into little bottoms. I siad this sounds fine, although i am 5'8 210# 44 yr old at the time I figured i was in perrty good shape. Well, coaster bike you can rent a Cads Cove store leave a lot to be desired. By time we got back my legs were burnt toast. My son at the time soaking wet would not break 100# so for him it was not that bad. I tried to talk him into just camping in Cadds cove an doing little bottoms on another date. NO WAY! So I went and got the back country permit. " Oh that should be fun, I haven't been on the Goat path in years!" the ranger exclaimed. Well as Tony said the name fit. Switch backs and two steep climbs and crawling over boulders with a full pack later we came to little bottoms. My son didn't wet a line. I *caught couple small bows. Still worth the trip in but not as easy as it looks on a map.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:13 PM

Vern,
Without a doubt, a better topo map is needed when deciding on which creeks to hit. I have one of the National Geographic maps of the park (1/100,000 scale) and though they show the contour lines of the area, the scale makes it hard to determine if you are hiking along a "goat path" or strolling along the creek's edge. I guess trial and error (along with advice from the veterans) will have to do. Although I do not have a strong desire to haul 40 Lbs on my back to get to some of the remote spots in the park, it's hard to put in a full day of fishing when you know you have a two to three hour hike to get back to the vehicle. Being a sea kayaker from south Florida, I find myself starring at my map of the creeks entering Fontana, Calderwood, etc and wanting to combine these passions as I did in Florida. It makes for easier hauling of camp and fishing gear even though I'm not sure if I feel comfortable about stowing my boat at the tailwaters while I camp upstream. Here again, I assume (that word again) that fishing pressure is heavy for the first couple of miles on creeks like Hazel, Eagle, Forney, and Noland, so I already see myself wanting to hike upstream beyond the norm. I would appreciate anyones thoughts on doing multi-day trips along the lakes or overnights into the heart of the park for some of those least fished spots. In a perfect world, I need hiking buddies who don't fish so I can fish my way up to the designated campsites. [smiley=wink.gif] May have to hit the Sierra Club website for volunteers!

Take care,
TonyB