Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 11-13-2006, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Firehole memories

PA, *One of my best memories of fishing Yellowstone was in late Oct. 2003. Two friends and I went out the week before the park closed. It was very cold all week with temps. in the mornings at -4 deg. and a daily high in the 20s. We seemed to be the only fishermen there all week. Most everyone on the flight into Bozeman were going hunting. The fall run Browns were in the Madison and Gibbon rivers. We never really got over to the Firehole because the fishing was so good. Rainbows were plentiful also, with most averaging over 20".
One day on the Madison around 9 mile, I was in the river while a small herd (15-20) of Elk were grazing on the grass sticking through a 10" snowfall. a large bull elk started bugling from the woods across the meadow from me and came running down a hillside into the meadow. He chased the herd down into the river very close to me and stood guard as 3 coyotes came down out of the woods behind him. I thought they were wolves at first and hoped they wouldn't swim towards me. They crossed at a tailout and left on a streamside trail into the woods. I was probably as thankful as the herd was for his being around to watch over them.
Yellowstone is like visiting another world. I look forward to every trip to that place. I also would like to hear others stories of Yellowstone and other western destinations.
* * * * * * * * * * * * *Troutman
Old 11-13-2006, 07:04 PM

I've fished the Brown Trout run out of Hebgen Lake three times I think. I personally haven't caught a brown much over 20" but some of my buddies have caught some really big ones. Jack Gregory took me there the first time and I've been there with him a couple more. He was fishing downstream from me with another buddy. This guy hooked a 17" Whitefish and a HUGE Brown ate it. They almost beached this big brown. It was as long as your leg. We have caught some large Rainbows that follow the Browns to eat their eggs. I've fished Yellowstone 10 times in the last 30 but that late fall is my favorite except for the extremely cold weather.

Byron
Old 11-13-2006, 07:36 PM

I'm loving these stories guys! Keep 'em coming...

Byron's story reminded me of another experience I had. Up until my trip to Yellowstone, I had always heard about having large browns try to eat smaller fish that were hooked. I was fishing the Gibbon up above the falls but still in the canyon. A small brown nailed the stimulator I had cast to a small pocket up at the head of a nice pool and then ran down into the pool. The line suddenly seemed awfully heavy and a good brown (probably 18"-20") rolled on the surface of the pool and my line was going into his mouth . I started putting a little more tension on the line, trying to avoid breaking off but wanting to work the good fish in. Suddenly the larger fish "spit" the little guy out and it flew back upstream probably 15 feet landing back in the water at my feet. I landed the fish and it seemed fine... Since then, other browns have tried to eat fish I've had on, but I'll always remember that first time!
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 12-13-2006, 11:58 PM

I'm skeeming to get out there next summer with my brother in law (my only hope of pulling it off!) My wife's little brother. Went last summer with our families and didn't get to fish as much as I would have liked, didn't fish the park at all! We did fish the Yellowstone below Livingston, threw hoppers all day! Fished the Shields, the whiteys feared me by the end of that outing! My B-I-L took a 19' brown though. Had a ball fishing the Gallatin as well, no monsters 15" was best but all on big golden stones.
I fished the Gibbon the first trip out and really got abused; fishing 5X (like a moron!) with a hopper a 23-24" brown slammed it from under a cut bank and was gone. Later that day one nearly as big drifted up three times to look but would not eat.... maddening!
If next summer happens, it will be the troutbum week for the boys, keep your fingers crossed for me!
Best,
Old 01-14-2007, 07:46 PM

i went out west with my family two years ago for a mission trip in montana. after the trip we stayed in yellowstone for an extra 5 days and fished the firehole for 4 of those. it was an amazing trip and it was the first real "hatch" i had experienced. we fished at the confluence of the firehole and nez perce creek. a couple of times the water looked like it was fuzzy there were so many PMD's on the water. but that last day we went to cascade lake and that was truly amazing. the 2.5 mile hike on was gorgeous and the fishing was even better. i caught 30 fish that day 27 cutthroat and 3 arctic grayling. cught them all on a dryfly that i let sink and then stripped it subsurfaced. i cant wait till i go back this summer.